Turkey Spatchcocking 101 w/PRON

thanks,

I'm doing 4 for church on sunday and just wanted to know. I plan on spatchcock so they will fit in my smoker. I just found out they are going to be in the 15 pound range. Wanted to make sure I was okay.

I plan on doing one on Saturday as a test run. I'm going to run it at a controlled temp of 250. I plan on following your 101 doc.

Sound good?

thanks,

I plan on doing one on Saturday as a test run. I'm going to run it at a controlled temp of 250. I plan on following your 101 doc.

Sound good?

For me, which temp is a big question.

What smoker do you have?
Does it give enough smoke at that temp for your turkey?
Do you need much smoke?
What about skin, if you want good skin, it will need a little higher.

That's part of the fun of Turkeys. As long as you pull it at the right temp, any method works.

For me, I use one of two general methods.

I go lower for 2 hours in my pellet cooker (180) for smoke, then bump up to 325 for finishing, getting a nice skin

OR I just go for 300/325 for the full time.

I like a good skin every once in a while, so I use a lot of butter (butter under the skin as well as a butter soaked cheese cloth which you'll see in the 101)

Lots of options, let me know if you have more questions.

Russ

I'm not to worried about the skin, it'll be sliced up and put on a platter, served in "bulk", skin will probably be removed anyway.

I mainly want a moist turkey.

I"ll probably be using my masterbuilt electric smoker with wood chips.

For a moist turkey, key is the finishing temp. 155 to 160 in the breast, regardless of temp you cook at.

Of course I brine mine for flavor and moisture.

I have a large BGE, and plan on doin a spatchcocked turkey. I THINK I can do a 14lber spatchcocked, but cannot be too sure.

ANy experienced BGEers out there know what size turkey you can spatchcock in a large BGE?

I'm gonna bump this thread up. Lots of great info here. I'll give it a go this year. Thanks for the awesome info.

I think I might do this to mine this year too.

Back