smoked peppers question

chambersuac

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Hey Brethren,

I have a quick question for you. I have some serrano peppers, chili pequins, West Virginia Pea Chilies (btw, BobBrisket, if you love the pequins - and it sounds like you do - grow some of these - they have the same great flavor and heat of the pequin, but are 4-5 times the size) and some other peppers ready to pick.

I usually use the majority of my peppers in salsa rojo (red/traditional salsa). I know I can roast/smoke them (i.e. chipotles), but I'm debating a couple of things:

1. should I smoke the peppers before making the salsa; or
2. should I make the salsa and then smoke the whole batch together?

Advice/opinions appreciated!

Dan

I would smoke the peppers independant and then use them as that would provide a contrast in flavors.

think I agree - I do a salsa verde that has several ingredients oven roasted (don't have a smoker yet) and some fresh ingredients added later (like cilantro) so I think smoking it all would be overkill (but that, of course, depends on the ingredients).

The smoked serranos should make any salsa memorable:-D

I vote smoke the peppers separate.

You could also roast the tomatoes.

Not to hijack the thread, but: how long would you normally smoke peppers? I've got a bunch of "medium" sizes Jalapeno's I'd love to smoke, and possibly can after that. I'd like to keep some out though for salsa.

dedmete;[URL="javascript:void(0)" said:
1001330[/URL]]Not to hijack the thread, but: how long would you normally smoke peppers? I've got a bunch of "medium" sizes Jalapeno's I'd love to smoke, and possibly can after that. I'd like to keep some out though for salsa.

Not to sound sarcastic, but you smoke them until they're done. I smoke mine until the skin starts to blister a bit...
span.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }

i'm going to say smoke half the peppers then make the salsa with half smoked and half non smoked. make a small batch with all smoked and you decide which way you like it the bestest. :biggrin:

Not to hijack the thread, but: how long would you normally smoke peppers? I've got a bunch of "medium" sizes Jalapeno's I'd love to smoke, and possibly can after that. I'd like to keep some out though for salsa.

Smoke/Roast over direct high heat until the skin blisters and gets a nice char color which could almost be black. Usually about 5 -7 minutes turning often. Toss them into a paper bag and let them steam for 10-15 minutes which will loosen the skin. Remove the skin with a knife or your fingers, cut open and scrap out the membrane and seeds. Use in your favorite recipe. CAUTION: Use gloves or don't touch your eyes or face.

My experience is that smoke flavor will travel through most liquids and imbed itself in anything without a tight skin... With that in mind the only advantage to smoking them seperatly is that the strongest smoked flavor will be with the peppers or whatever you smoke, but the juices of the tomato, onion and garlic will carry a lighter smoke flavor throughout.

JM .02 worth...

Back