Ribs fully cook and reheat or half and half???

S

smkncajun

Have to cook for a party but with time constraints I will have to cook the butts and the spares the day before. I usually do a 3/2/1 with my ribs, but I am wondering if do the 3 and then wrap can I fridgerate them overnight and then finish with the 2/1 the next day on the smoker??? I am not worried about the butts, but don'e want to end with dry or over cooked ribs so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
"C"

I did a 3-2 Emptied the foil pouch the cooled in the fridge. 2 Days later I heated up on a kettle. Sauced and they turned out great.

When you say 2 days later you heated up on a kettle, that was without foil, basically the "1" of the method???

I would just cook them til just before done. Sauce and reheat on the grill for show.

I stumbled upon a technique that worked for me, somewhat by accident. I smoked two racks of spares and ended up pulling them a bit before they were done, maybe 30 minutes away. I tried some immediately and found that while they were pretty good, they weren't quite right. I wrapped the leftovers in foil and stored them in the fridge. Two days later I took out half a rack, still wrapped tight in foil, and tossed it into a 325 degree oven for about 10 minutes. I then unwrapped, gave them a fresh coat of sauce, and returned them to the oven for 8-10 minutes. After letting them rest for a few minutes they were fantastic. They weren't mushy, but came clean from the bone easily. Much better than the sample I had eaten when they were fresh from the smoker.

This is the method I've developed: I cook them til done on the smoker, with no sauce and rest* until about an hour before dinner time. Then I pull them out, cut into individuals, place into a large foil pan and liberally apply my sauce of choice. Cover the pan with foil and place into an oven on the lowest setting until heated thru; about 30 mins.

This method seems to work very well for my crowd & with my rub and sauce. I also always remove the membrane. Different folks will say that it will have vastly different effects on your finished product, but in my experience, I do it more for even absorption of smoke, rub coverage and ease of eating/presentation.

*- Resting for me is placing the ribs on a baking pan, covered with foil in an un-heated oven.

Finish them and wrap them up in plastic wrap and foil and freeze or put in the frig. last thing you want in HALF cooked pork hanging around, anywhere

Back