Spare ribs question....

ClintHTX

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Doing 3-2-1 method on spare ribs today. Look in the fridge and I don't have any apple juice to spritz. What else can I use? I have orange juice, coke, dr pepper, beer, or should I use nothing?

The spritz is just a nice coating to make the ribs look shiny. Coke or Dr. Pepper will also work fine.

Or just sprinkle brown sugar on top...

Last edited:
With the 3-2-1 guideline you do not need to spritz the ribs. The ribs fat, collegen and connective tissue will break down and keep them moist. In the wrapping phase of that method you will be introducing butter and any liquid you want into it. The liquid can be water, apple juice, soda, whatever you want. The 1 phase you will sauce the ribs and it will caramalize. 0 need to spritz.

I would agree. since your doing 3-2-1 method, no real need to spritz.
One way that I cook ribs differently now then when I do the 321 is to cook at 275-300, spritz every 45 mins, cook for 4 and half hours.

In the wrapping stage you could also use butter......or dare I say it......nah you know what I mean.

Spritzing does nothing to keep ribs moist. At best depending on what you are using it adds another layer of flavors and as was mentioned it makes them look shiny.

I like to add a little apple cider vinegar to mine. When I do 3-2-1 method though, I do butter a little brown sugar and tiger sauce.

I smoked these yesterday, 3 hrs with a drip pan, 1.5 hrs without a drip pan ( Kept the temp from 275 to 300 the whole time) no wrap, no spritz, sauced at the end. Wife says they were terrible :biggrin1: The wife loves the burnt ends. While I was tending the UDS to shut it down etc.
ixt4.jpg

of6y.jpg

Wife says they were terrible :biggrin1: The wife loves the burnt ends. While I was tending the UDS to shut it down etc.
ixt4.jpg

of6y.jpg

meaning they DIDN'T suck ??????
How did you like them ?

PS. they've got big teeth !!

meaning they DIDN'T suck ??????
How did you like them ?PS. they've got big teeth !!
The wife loves everything I cook and gets tired of telling me how good it is so, she is sarcastic and says it sucks, or it's terrible. She is a great cook also, she just doesn't want to learn to smoke or grill. Doing a stuffed 20lb turkey today.

Back