Rib rack or no

Erikbarnes25

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Need advice! Going to be doing baby back ribs very soon! Do you use a rib rack or straight on the grates? Thank you all in advance!

Rack only when necessary. Mine bunches the racks up too tightly in my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If space was an issue....rib rack. Otherwise, flat on the grate. Actually, when having to use the rib rack....they're a pain to clean afterwards
. :tsk:

I don't have a rib rack. I have to admit, after all these years, I have never inquired, read anything about and have any info on rib racks. I have always gone straight on shelves. I am curious to see answers. Do folks have any experiences with the fat rendering and the ribs losing a significant amount of rub?

I just saw mine in the basement today. The spiders seem to like it.
If you are cooking on a kettle.

For ribs, if you need room for more, pick up a spare cooking grate. Flip it upside down and rotate it so the handles on the new rack are at 90 deg from handles of the old rack, so the new rack is supported in four places. It will fit under the lid.

I've got one I hacked for a mini wsm- had to... sucker cooks good- but grate space is super tight.

If I'm cooking on one of my others: flat on the grate- always. (but I'm not like some of these fellas doing 8+ racks at a time)

Same as most of these boys. Straight on the grate unless room becomes an issue.
I cook on a kettle, indirect. Two racks of spares go straight on. Three or four get the grate.
I don’t notice much, if any difference in quality or cook time. The main reason I don’t use the rack unless needed is the cleanup PITA.

VR,
Harold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Like the others have said- on the rack unless I need extra space, then they get the rack.

great thread. i was just about to buy a rib rack, and now see for my purposes i dont need one. thanks guys

I’m not a comp cooker but I do like a drumstick rack. Keeps the important things like skin away from the grate. Just don’t get any folding kind. They suck.

No rack here either. Just straight on the grate. I don’t own a rib rack and have never used one. Never really needed it.

I’m not a comp cooker but I do like a drumstick rack. Keeps the important things like skin away from the grate. Just don’t get any folding kind. They suck.

Yeah the drumstick rack is in my.list as my kids looooove drumsticks and i inly eat them with crisp skin.

Back