First Sous vida cook

Thanks for all the info..my interest is really piqued now

Put two or three in at 145 for an hour. Reset the temp to 130 and throw in a handful of ice to drop the temp and then cook the rest for an hour at 130. The steaks cooked at 145 hold with out cooking any more. Sear all at the same time.
Cibelo

Put two or three in at 145 for an hour. Reset the temp to 130 and throw in a handful of ice to drop the temp and then cook the rest for an hour at 130. The steaks cooked at 145 hold with out cooking any more. Sear all at the same time.
Cibelo

Interesting technique, I may have to try that!

My lone issue with sous vide steak has been that my wife prefers her more medium to my medium rare. She'll eat it medium rare, so that's what we do, but I know she'd be happier if it were cooked a bit more. Thanks for the tip!

Well for me personally it was the most tender juicy steak I’ve ever made at home . All our beef is home grown and tends to be very lean. I’m sold on this method for steaks for sure.

Now that I think about it, this sounds like it could work well for prime rib, where you really don't care about a crust.

I'm back and forth on the benefit with steak vs sous vide vs reverse sear. For chicken and especially pork chops, I love the pasteurization aspect where if you cook it lower than 160 for a long enough time, it achieves the goal of 160 without drying it out. A pork chop at 145 for an hour or two and then pan seared--almost makes me forget steak.

Ok, not pushback but I'm not quite getting why this would be useful for steaks - why not just grill them? I can certainly understand sous vide for food that takes a long time to cook, even traditional smoker food like brisket, etc.

I somewhat agree in terms of good steak cuts, but where SV really shines is cheap cuts of meats cooked for long periods of time at very low temps. But what i like to do even with good quality cuts is to throw them directly on a charcoal chimney for 1 min per side to get an insane grill marks char on them, then right into the SV for a few hours for med rare. This gives me time to make any other sides like baked potato, or maybe i already have some ribs on the smoker and they are not done yet. Its a great way to have everything perfectly cooked and ready when you want to eat.

You are doing it backwards. SV first, then dry it off and sear to finish. You can serve it still sizzling and crisp.

The advantage of SV on a good steak goes up with thickness. You can get it perfectly done edge to edge with no gradient or over cooked edges. Slow cook indirect followed by a reverse sear can come close but it is harder and not as consistent.

Pork tenderloin is a great example of where SV shines. It is a fast cook meat but it is difficult to cook enough to be safe and yet not over cook. SV it to a medium rare and it is safe but tender and juicy. I have never had grilled or baked or any combination that comes close to SV and seared.

Back