whats A1 sauce for?

It is actually a British food, so don’t blame us if you don’t like it! :D

It is a tomato, raisin, vinegar, orange concoction that does not contain tamarind and I don’t think it ever did. If they were aiming to copy something from India, they missed the mark by a mile.

Any stuff that's been around since 1831 and is still selling can't be all bad.

Most people I know who use A1 actually just like the taste of A1 and use meat as a filler for texture. One of my friends puts A1 on everything. We go out to lunch, whatever he orders (doesn't matter, meatloaf, pork chop, hamburger, steak, you name it) he's putting A1 on it. I've watch him put it on butter beans.

I use a little when making a mushroom, a ranch sauce, and one type of horseradish sauce. It gives it just a little tang/bite to the finished sauce.

Raisin Paste
A key ingredient since chef H. W. Brand added it to King George IV's steak sauce in the 1820s. Raisins contain antioxidants, which may have helped mask the rancid flavor of spoiling meat in the days before refrigeration.

I'm personally not a fan of the stuff at all. If I get a steak at a restaurant the needs A-1, I'll send it back.. But that's perhaps just me.:crazy:

The original A-1 is an ingredient in the mustard sauce we have with stone crab claws. Today is the last day of the 2017 - 2018 season, October 15 thru May 15 of the following year.

I use A1 on grilled waterfowl (duck and goose) and hamburger steaks.
Will have to try it on meatloaf and cheeseburgers.

like any sauce, it goes on whatever you want to try it on. i can't stand elitists who try to tell me what and how i should eat. i use it on cheaper cuts like sirloin, but if you like it on your prime rib, have at it. i also like it with meatloaf and steak fajitas.

I really like the way it tastes, yet I don't have any in the house and never have steak that "needs" it.

I'm not going to **** on it though. Stuff is tasty.

I don't mind a dab of steak sauce once in a while. Definitely to the side for dipping, definitely don't coat the meat in it. It's like BBQ sauce for me.... Yes, the meat shouldn't NEED it, but sometimes I like the flavor of a little bit.

------
Check out my BBQ Instagram!
@headforthehillsbbq

To be honest, I was an avid steak sauce user. Mostly A-1, but an occasional H-57 user too. It all started due to my my parents idea of BBQ or grilled meats. Round Steak.
Dark brown on the outside, white on the inside, and dry as sand. I had to put something on it to get it down.

When I moved out, I learned that I prefer rare to medium rare. But I always had my sauce too. And some Tabasco for kick. It has just been recently that I started enjoying a nice Prime Ribeye, well seasoned, and grilled, no sauce. So, now, it depends on my mood. Sometimes I want to taste the beef, sometimes I want to sauce it up a bit.

Try mixing equal parts A1, Woeber's Horseradish Sauce & Wishbone French Dressing.. pretty good dipping sauce for anything skewered.

Back