Chile rellenos on the weber

Great work, Tony!

Just curious, do you find the rellenos a bit soggy after putting them in the sauce? We usually top with sauce right before serving so the outer batter stays nice and firm.

I never had them with the sauce on top. This recipe Is the way my mom makes them. I like the texture but I will relay this to Maribel and next time we can do a side by side comparison....:grin:

OMG!!! That's the main reason I don't make rellenos very often! The work. But they are definitely worth it. Maribel is spot on about browning the rice first. Something that I have started adding to my Spanish Rice is capers. Try em if you like em. I go the old school route and add a can of peas and carrots like my Grandmother would do. Man, this thread reminds me of all of excellent cooking and how much I miss it.
I like that sauce for the rellenos. My mom's go to sauce is based more on a roux and chunkier with pretty much the same ingredients but not blended.

Looking good. I'd hit all of that!

Last thing. If you like old style oldies, tune into the this station net Sunday from 12-8. Mike Guerrero does his Oldies Show and plays some really good oldies tunes. Also, if you like 80's, Lorraine Austin does and 80's show on Saturday nights from 6-10.
I never miss the oldies show on Sundays.
http://www.923thefox.com/

Bob

My mom makes the rice with peas,carrots,corn also... I miss my mothers cooks.
Thanks Bob...I will check out Mike Guerrero we like oldies..
Maribel and I would like to listen oldies in our so called lowriders back in the day.
1371770591.jpg

1371770585.jpg

So hard to make, so rare to find great examples in restaurants. It is a litmus test for Mexican restaurants for me. The egg batter makes them light as cheesy clouds. And don't even get me started about chile rellenos burritos.

Great job as usual guys, thanks for sharing.

PS.. My 81 regal was a POS. They look good, though.

So hard to make, so rare to find great examples in restaurants. It is a litmus test for Mexican restaurants for me. The egg batter makes them light as cheesy clouds. And don't even get me started about chile rellenos burritos.

Great job as usual guys, thanks for sharing.

PS.. My 81 regal was a POS. They look good, though.

That's exactly what my wife said... If they can make a decent chile relleno they can make anything. One more thing if they don't sell horchata that probably means their food is not authentic.

This Regal was a 87 or 88 with a V8 and I think the moonroof was original. 84 cutlass was a cool car. My dad got it from a farmer in Hemet. It was full of chicken feathers and other animal hair.

Official Groupie, Thank you!!

Thanks for the rice recipe, I did make them tonight although there was constant talk of rain so I make them inside.:mmph:

Quick hijack here but here is what I made from your inspiration:

Thank you Tony and Maribel, it was a huge hit and I am going to bed but will be up for a while...:becky:

Groupie build thread to follow tomorrow, THANK YOU BROTHER!!:-D

You guys sure arent cutting corners bro. Looks bomb!

Ohh! The Regals and Cutlass'. Those were the days. I actually ran into a cruise that started in Whittier and ended up in Elysian Park not even two weeks ago. Flashback and it was a great surprise. Packed with a lot of nice rides. I managed to snap a few pics at the end for old times sake.:mrgreen:

20130721_150347_9484.jpg

20130721_150347_52247.jpg

20130721_150347_144286.jpg

Looks great! Your sauce and rice look amazing. Chile rellenos have been a favorite of mine since I was a little kid. Used to go to a place in the early seventies called Maize in Redondo Beach or Torrence. Thats all I ever had when my parents would take me there.

Thanks for the rice recipe, I did make them tonight although there was constant talk of rain so I make them inside.:mmph:

Quick hijack here but here is what I made from your inspiration:

Thank you Tony and Maribel, it was a huge hit and I am going to bed but will be up for a while...:becky:

Groupie build thread to follow tomorrow, THANK YOU BROTHER!!:-D

Nice job... I will let Maribel know..

Hey Tonybel and Maribel,
Made a version of your rice tonight.
1 1/2 cups Jasmine rice and one small onion chopped sauteed in olive oil until the rice had some brown going on.
Added 3 cups of water, a can of Rotel diced tomatoes and chilis, and about a cup and a half of leftover crock pot pulled pork. Salt, pepper, red pepper flakes to taste. Didn't have cilantro, and it needed it.

This did not suck. Not.One.Little.Bit.

Thanks for the recipe you two.

I have done Rellenos several times and they are a pain. That hardest part of the whole process is getting the Poblanos stuffed without tearing up the chile. Then you have to keep the cheese in while you cook it. I love a great Chile Relleno and Mole but I'm thinking you have to do a whole lot of them to make it worthwhile!
Yours look great and I would love to eat them. So long as I don't have to make them myself!

Back