Perils of the uncaring butcher

comfrank

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
butcher \'boo cher\ v. 1) to slaughter or dress (animals, fish, or poultry) for market. 2) to bungle; botch: to butcher a job.

Unfortunately, sense number 2 was perpetrated upon me. My wife was having her annual picnic for volunteers in her nonprofit organization and wanted me to do the barbecue. I decided to make it a full-blown competition practice. All four KCBS categories, timed turn-ins, etc. I also ordered my meats about two weeks in advance from a local butcher recommended to me by some friends. Big mistake. Let me list the travesties committed by this butcher, from least egregious to most.

0. When I arrived to pick up my meat he said, "Oh, sure, I'm just about ready to start on that order."

1. I ordered a seven-pound pork butt and got a six pounder.

2. I ordered twelve chicken thighs, but got only eleven. Moreover, they had not been properly disjointed. Rather than having them separated between the knuckles of the thigh and leg, he simply ran them through a band saw, cutting off below the thigh knuckle sometimes, and leaving part of the leg knuckle attached at other times.

3. I ordered six slabs of St. Louis cut ribs. But rather than doing a proper St. Louis cut, the butcher took whole slabs and ran them through the bandsaw lengthwise. This had the effect that some of the "slabs" had bones that were only two inches long, never more than four inches, and other "slabs" had great big flaps of meet with no bones whatsoever. After smoking, they tasted fine, but there was not a single rib that I would consider appropriate to turn in.

4. I ordered a seven-pound brisket flat. What I got instead was some sort of mutant flat/point/misc frankenstein thing that was the size and shape of a football. After cooking, the brisket tasted just terrible. Very livery. So bad in fact that I refused to put any out for the guests. Moreover, I struggled to find a place where I could get six slices to put in a box. You can see how bad they are in the picture below.

Don't bother critiqueing this box; it's terrible. I would give it a 3 or maybe a 4 if I was feeling generous. You can see how uneven in width the slices are and how mangled they are on the right hand side. Yet that's the best I could do.

Fortunately, everyone enjoyed the ribs, chicken, and pork.

Moral of the story: Know your butcher.

DSC_0007.jpg

Best advertisement for trimming your own competition meats EVER.

I don't think I could let anyone but VQ do it. Nobody else cares like you do if that last scrap of membrane is off, or if things are symmetrical, etc. etc.

Sorry it did not work out for you.

"Different strokes for different folks", but I buy my meat in person and trim as needed.
Easy.

I have never let myself down (at least yet) :lol:

Good luck in the future.

TIM

May i ask.....why did you pay for that?

You can't tell me theres no where else to buy meat from other than that idiot.

May i ask.....why did you pay for that?

You can't tell me theres no where else to buy meat from other than that idiot.

Cost was about $70. And yes, I have a different, but fairly reliable, butcher I generally use. I just wanted to try someone new who had been recommended to me. :icon_sick

--frank in Wilson, NY

Cost was about $70. And yes, I have a different, but fairly reliable, butcher I generally use. I just wanted to try someone new who had been recommended to me. :icon_sick

--frank in Wilson, NY
OK, you tried the recommendation....lesson learned?
Unless you just don't have time to trim up yourself, I really recommend you learn to do it yourself. There are videos all over on how to prep meat. Here is an example of just one video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYMNLMQmM4s&feature=channel_page

And remember, you have the power of the Brethren....many here will help you by answering questions.
We're here for ya!

Sorry it did not work out for you.

"Different strokes for different folks", but I buy my meat in person and trim as needed.
Easy.

I have never let myself down (at least yet) :lol:

Good luck in the future.

TIM

Word Up! If I screw it up, I only have myself to blame.
I couldn't agree more... In fact, nobody picks my meat but me!

--frank in Wilson, NY

Moral of the story: ALWAYS STICK WITH WHAT WORKS!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

Back