Weber Kettle Mod...

BobBrisket

Reaction score
I was searching for pics of Webers and came across this.......

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3DWeber%2Bkettle%26y%3DSearch%26ei%3DUTF-8%26fr%3Dyfp-t-501%26x%3Dwrt%26js%3D1%26ni%3D18&w=333&h=500&imgurl=static.flickr.com%2F2376%2F2063417655_12b46a0ae4_m.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Friverrats%2F2063417655%2F&size=128.7kB&name=2063417655_12b46a0ae4.jpg&p=Weber+kettle&type=jpeg&no=3&tt=2,618&oid=4a403b220f005cc0&fusr=River+Rats&tit=Weber+Kettle+-+XL+Bullet+Smoker+Conversion+08&hurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Friverrats%2F&ei=UTF-8&src=p

I was intrigued by the way he used the sheet metal to turn the kettle into a smoker. Seems he added extra grates to the inside like on a UDS. Would sheet metal like that also be galvanized?
Another interesting note, as I scrolled through the pics and got passed page 25 or so, I noticed that a whole bunch of the pics link back to the Brethren site. I simply used the "images" search on Yahoo and typed in Weber Kettles to get all the pics.

Killer idea, if I'd had my Weber before I started building my UDS I might have gone down this road instead. Loading/unloading could be interesting though, unless he's got a side door.
Yes, he's used galvanised sheet, not good:frown:

So, do the home improvement joints sell sheets of non-galvanized stuff? Would a sheet metal shop have non-galvanized? Here's the deal, I have an extra kettle(new) kettle top and bottom and meat grate. I've been having a hard time finding a worthy drum. I figure I could make a ring/circular type stand for the coal bowl so that it sits lower to the ground. I don't have the leg assembly, won't need it. I have them sitting in my garage under the pool table and want to get them outta there to make room. Figure this would be a cool way of making a WSM hybrid. What other type metal could I use? All I would need to order is the ash/vent assembly, charcoal grate and I'd be set. Figure I could make this whole thing for under 70-80 bucks. I have no idea how much a sheet of metal like that would cost though.

not bad but definately not worth it if galvanized...
2063417655_12b46a0ae4.jpg

Saw that awhile ago on the WSM site, if you go through some of the pics there are some pretty interesting setups. That is clearly galvanized, but if you were to get a steel drum with horizontal ribs on it and cut @ 1/2 -3/4" below the rib it will seat into a 22.5" kettle and you can get at least a 24" rise out of it.

Do not use galvanized steel. Burning it releases zinc oxide, a pollutant that can cause zinc fume fever. Really don't and forward a note to the brain-surgeon who built that beast. Go Cold-rolled steel or Stainless (SS is harder to form and weld tho).

Let me ask this.....those of you UDS guys can help with this one.
Is there a drum that would fit snuggly into the coal bowl and still allow the lid to fit snuggly too? If so, what is the approximate diameter of this type drum. I'll post some pics later of an rotiss extension that I made for the 22.5, problem was the drum was too big and I had to decrease it in diameter and that was a pain in the arse.

Brian and I are thinking..................a 22.5 WSM on steroids!! I can't wait to see who builds the first one of these!!

So, do the home improvement joints sell sheets of non-galvanized stuff? Would a sheet metal shop have non-galvanized? Here's the deal, I have an extra kettle(new) kettle top and bottom and meat grate. I've been having a hard time finding a worthy drum. I figure I could make a ring/circular type stand for the coal bowl so that it sits lower to the ground. I don't have the leg assembly, won't need it. I have them sitting in my garage under the pool table and want to get them outta there to make room. Figure this would be a cool way of making a WSM hybrid. What other type metal could I use? All I would need to order is the ash/vent assembly, charcoal grate and I'd be set. Figure I could make this whole thing for under 70-80 bucks. I have no idea how much a sheet of metal like that would cost though.

Yes that is Galvanized sheet metal, and yes you can get "black iron" sheet metal from your local sheet metal shop. They may have to order it for you, but they can get it.

you can get "black iron" sheet metal from your local sheet metal shop. They may have to order it for you, but they can get it.

I believe it is Hot rolled or cold rolled steel. One is better to fabricate with, not sure which. Maybe Spice can chime in.

http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg238/bobbrisket/

Okay, I've done something similar before. Here's the ring I made, but I REALLY dont' want to cut an entire drum from top to bottom to do the same thing if I can find a drum that will fit fairly snug. I built this ring so that I could make BCT's, but have yet to make one because the ring doesn't fit just right. Yes, I'm a bit of a perfectionist, sue me. But I like things to be done right, fit right, and work right. You think I could pull of a 22.5 WSM on 'roids with the right drum.............if there is a drum this size?

Let me ask this.....those of you UDS guys can help with this one.
Is there a drum that would fit snuggly into the coal bowl and still allow the lid to fit snuggly too? If so, what is the approximate diameter of this type drum. I'll post some pics later of an rotiss extension that I made for the 22.5, problem was the drum was too big and I had to decrease it in diameter and that was a pain in the arse.

Brian and I are thinking..................a 22.5 WSM on steroids!! I can't wait to see who builds the first one of these!!

im wonderign the same thing. is there a drum that will fit an 18.5 diameter weber kettle and still allow the lid to be placed ontop?

thanks

I know this is an old post but i came upon it doing a search for weber kettle fire pits! haha

im wonderign the same thing. is there a drum that will fit an 18.5 diameter weber kettle and still allow the lid to be placed ontop?

thanks

I know this is an old post but i came upon it doing a search for weber kettle fire pits! haha

Wow, welcome back 2008! lol As for a barrel that fits an 18.5, not sure, but I have seen on here a stock pot used and it appeared to fit perfect.

thanks

The answer is "sorta". I don't think you will find a barrel that will fit in the bottom section of the Weber and still have the lid fit snug. However, what I would suggest is to find a closed top drum that the lid will fit snuggly on. Then cut the drum around one of the ribs where if flares out a bit. Ideally this flared portion should hopefully fit over the lip of the bottom of Weber. Then the lid would fit over the top of the barrel.

Note: the best barrel for this will probably be a closed top drum as they have smaller lips. This will allow the lid to fit without having to pound out the rim of the lid. It might take a little grinding to get it perfect. From there, just cut along the inside of the lip of the drum to open it up. You might try the bottom of the drum as well as those lips are often smaller too.

Back