View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009, 01:30 PM   #11
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweedle View Post
First off, I just wanted to say hello to everyone I have to say this is one of the best forums that I have run across in my travels. (Not to mention the fact that it prompted me to dive in over my head and enter a comp) I was wondering if I may be so bold as to ask a few questions that I’m sure have been asked 100 time before. FYI its KCBS sanctioned

1) I was wondering the quantities of meat that everyone cooks? I was going to cook 2 Boston Butts, 2 Briskets, 6 slabs of ribs (ST. Louis style),and 16 thighs. To little to much right amount? 3 slabs should be more than enough. I only do 10 thighs because that's what fits in a half pan. More ribs and thighs means more choices. Sometimes that's not good in the heat of turn-in.

2) Any advice on stuff to bring that people usually forget or need extra of so that i don't? Any thing that makes life easier that people bring? I did up a check list molded off of one I found online and added stuff i think i need. lots of paper towels. toilet paper incase the porta johns run out. good tequila if I smell smoke is coming.

3) They are offering two different people choice contests as well one on Sat one on Sunday. Do you think its a good idea or bad idea at a first comp to try and enter them as well? I no longer participate in these. My goal is 4 meats.

4)Now for some advice to help end a marital squabble lol. When I Q at home I use my own home made sauce been going over well in the neighbor hood for a couple years now... The wife seams to believe "I can't get my ego out of the way" as she put it (Its really not my fault it's a big ego) and just use a commercial sauce that has more of a well known/generic taste and appeal to it. what’s the general consensus about it? Unless you have some "unusual spice" in it then it should be fine to try. The sauce is less important that the rub. And use lots of rub as it's one bite. Unless your wife says it's way to salty then you didn't use enough rub and salt.

5)Any other advice anyone has would also be helpful. There are some evil people at contests who try to get new cooks drunk. Be very careful of people with blenders, frozen bottles and jello shots. But have fun. Get there early, prep as much as you can ahead of time.

Is anyone on here competing in the Harvard Fall Festival Sept. 18th -19th In MA?

Thanks again for any and all help. sorry to ask the same old questions again but I figured if anyone knew ya'll would.
P.S. I’m doing my first run thru on Sunday/ Monday next week and was wondering if I post up pics of my trial run turn in boxes if I could get some feed back on them?
By now if you've been reading, you should know it's a waste of time. All cooks think their box is a nine and most don't score others very high but cooks never give out 5's.