• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First hot and fast brisket

qnbiker

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Celebrated Thanksgiving with neighbors and I brought brisket. I do pretty well with briskets, but this time I decided to do my first hot and fast cook. I wasn't happy with the results.

I bought a 16 pounder since we ran out last year. Cooked it at 300 until the thickest part of the flat read 160 (took 6 hours), then wrapped it in butcher paper. Cooked it 2 more hours, then checked for probe tender. Wasn't quite ready, so I waited another hour before taking it off.

After resting, I separated the point to make burnt ends. The point literally fell apart: 75% shredded beef, 25% cubes. The flat was great - moist, tender, firm yet pulled apart with a slight tug - but had very little smoke flavor. Everybody raved about it. They didn't notice the lack of smoke. They didn't notice the shredded burnt ends. I was the only one who wasn't happy with it.

Maybe I overcooked it although the flat seemed about right. I know I cooked it too long in the butcher paper (pretty sure that's what reduced the smoke flavor). Should have taken it off after 2 hours. Any comments or advice from you experienced hot and fasters will be appreciated.

I go by GRATE TEMP!

BluDawgs Brisket

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb
Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub
1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner or 300 on a WSM/UDS
cook Brisket 4 hrs
remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it will be within 1 hr.
once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.
Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will.

*PROBE TENDER>This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag

I've never done a brisky H&F but intend to step up to the plate soon. The question of when to separate the point is a big one for me too so hopefully we'll get that answer here.

When cooking L&S I always sep the point when the color is right. The flat isnt quite done at this point. We wrap the flat and tend to the process of cooking the BE's. After separating the point, cook time speeds up on the flat so it has to be watched closely. The BE process usually takes me another 1-2 hours cooking at 230 the whole time.

Burnt ends are over rated Try slicing That point it will change your apperication for Brisket.

When I go hot and fast, I don't wrap my brisket by time or internal temperature. I do it by color of the bark. Some cooks I don't hve to wrap because the humidity keeps the bark from getting too dark.

I cook till the thickest part of the flat is probe tender. Pull it off and vent for 15-20mins, then wrap and let it sit on the counter or in a cold oven for 2 hours, then slice.

I have yet to have the point crumble on me doing this method.

Thanks, guys. Bludawg, I go by grate temp also. I had leftovers for lunch and I guess it didn't turn out as bad as I thought. I'm definitely a convert.

Burnt ends are over rated Try slicing That point it will change your apperication for Brisket.

I'll definitely try this. Only reason I've cubed BE's is because that's what has seemed to score best 'round here.

Lot of fat in the point, though. I render down the point for a good hour or so more than the flat to caramelize it along with it's own zesty sauce.

Do you cook the point and flat all the way together?

I'll definitely try this. Only reason I've cubed BE's is because that's what has seemed to score best 'round here.

Lot of fat in the point, though. I render down the point for a good hour or so more than the flat to caramelize it along with it's own zesty sauce.

Bludawg and myself cook the packer together all the way through. Slice point is the best part of the brisket!

I have never separated the flat from the point until the whole packer is a done deal. In fact, I have never cooked just a flat. If I can't find a suitable packer to suit me, I just have a ham sammich and try another day. It is like buying an airplane with no engine to me. That puppy just wont fly!

Blessings,
Omar

Fat is flavor! Beef fat is like a magical concoction of Candy & Crack! one bite is to many and the whole point aint enough. If you like a good rib eye your gonna love sliced point. Just don't tell any one your doing this we don't want to start a point reviloution

I cooked in butcher paper once. It was just for the last few hours. The brisket had a nice smoke ring but no smoke flavor. :doh:

I cooked for a party once. I thru in a couple of flats on the rib side running about 325 temp. The flats were place about 8 feet from the fire box next to the chimney. I pulled the flats at the 6 hour mark, the bark looked dry and charred but when I sliced into one I became a believer.

I have never separated the flat from the point until the whole packer is a done deal. In fact, I have never cooked just a flat. If I can't find a suitable packer to suit me, I just have a ham sammich and try another day. It is like buying an airplane with no engine to me. That puppy just wont fly!

Blessings,
Omar

necessity is the mother of invention.
round here it is hard to find a packer but sams sells angus flats. got myself a second place trophy in one of them big timer contests with one.
I'm just sayin, but I agree I'll take a slice off the fatty end every time.

Just pulled my brisket off. If it's no good, at least we can eat the paper! Going to be a long two hours staring at that grease stained present sitting on our counter....:icon_smile_tongue:

Back