How many people can I feed with 1 UDS?

C

Chubby Tuna

Neighbors were talking about doing a block party and it got me to thinking, how many people could I realisticly feed at one time on with my UDS. I'd like to do baby backs and pulled pork... and have it all ready at the same time. Maybe even a couple dozen ABTs while I'm at it.
My initial thought was butts on the bottom grate with ribs on top in racks to maximize space. mAybe lay a 3rd grate right on top of the butts for the ABTs. Better to do 10lb butts or 5lbs? I figure 2-3 ribs and 2 sliders along with sides per person? What would your timeline look like?

I have your standard UDS. Dome lid with 2 grates about 7" apart and I use a water pan on top of the basket. I use kingsford with wood chuncks,

I've fed as many as 70 off of mine with no problem. That was pulled pork only. I imagine if a person planned it right you could do much more than that.

You can easily get 3- 7 to 8 Lbs shoulders on there I think 4 will actually fit on one rack but can't say for sure as I have only put on 3 at one time. You can get 6 racks of ribs on the top if you use a rib rack and cook them on edge. I would figure the shoulders need 8 to 10 hours at 250. I would start them early and hold them in a cooler when they are done. Probally a couple hours before the ribs depending on BB or spares I cook them in 5 to 6 hours. Then one grate would be open for you ABTs which will only take 1 to 1 1/12 hours depending on your temp. I am to lazy to make all of this work out so I just built more UDS. Good luck with your cook.

I'd just load up a rack with 4 butts. Serve pulled pork. Then do a full rack of ABTs. Get a helper n make 80-100 ABTs. Maybe even a fatty and slice it up thin as a appetizer also.

How many people u expecting?

Never had much success trying to slow-cook to a specific time for a massive amount of people. I'd recommend taking it in batches, as mentioned above.

This is how I may do it:

1) Butts on smoker 'til 160, foil and into a 250 to 300 degree oven (whatever temp your oven will settle in nicely at - mine stops pulling a "stop/go" on the igniter at around 280).

2) BB's on the smoker for 2 1/2 hours, foil w/ a bit of juice, and into the oven.

3) ABT's, MOINKS, Fatties onto the smoker. You can pre-cut the fatties in half to help speed the cooking process and get them all done around the same time.

4) Pull butts from the oven when they're done. Let rest until you're ready to serve (insert cambro/cooler/warm towel/whatever technique here).

4) After 45-minutes to an hour in the oven, pull the BB's and use a kettle / gasser / alternate cooker to firm up and glaze over med-to-high heat. Let rest and cut into 2-rib sections.

5) Pull Fatties, Moinks, and ABT's when they're done.

6) Pork-pulling demonstration ("ooh, Ahh, DANG!"), followed by some good eatin'!

Block party? I would stay with the PP and forget the ribs. Personally I don't like anyone on the block enough to fix BB's for. Oops, I forgot I don't live on a block. Sorry for the SA remark.

The more meat you put on it, the more it will be affected, but that's still no reason NOT do it. I'm with others and would stay away from the ribs. They won't go as far and then a fight may break out.:becky:

When I did a block party last summer, I did pulled pork, ham and chicken. Of course, I had a couple of different smokers going. Still, I'd got with the larger meats, they'll serve more people. Maybe a bunch of pork butts and a ham or 2?

Good luck!

I've done 60 pounds of pork shoulder and easily fed 90 people. Do the PP ahead of time and reheat, cook ribs and ABT's on the day of. Way easier to predict when ribs will be done.

Back