• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Ribs

R

rescue_ranger

Ribs, you have whole slab or spare ribs, baby back, KC cut also known as St. Louis cut, but lately I have heard of a Colorado cut? And a Missouri cut? I have never heard of these I am thinking it is probably a KC cut just called different for the cook’s home state? Don’t know, not sure that’s why I am asking I always do KC cut, I will trim off the gristly rib tips, square off the ends and trim off the flap, always makes for a great end product and if cooked right it will show a little bone when done. What’s ya alls preference when it comes to ribs? Do you trim them down or throw a slab on? Curious is all
Thanks
RR

So,

What's a

KC cut?
Missouri cut?
Colorado cut?

Here's a new one Oklahoma cut (okay I made that one up, it's what I do when I trim any rib) :D

This is how I do a Kansas City /St. Louis-style spare rib

(1) Feel along the edge with the bones for a flap of tissue called the skirt that runs about two-thirds down the length of the spare rib slab and hangs off the bone.
(2) Lay the boning knife flat on the bone as a guide, then move the knife along the ribs as you slice off the flap; set this aside.
(3) Feel for the joint between the two sections of ribs that runs down the center of the slab, then slice down the cartilage to split the slab into two pieces.
(4) Set aside the narrow section referred to as “rib tips” on a baking sheet to barbecue separately, and keep the Kansas City /St. Louis-style spare rib on the cutting board.
(5) Find the pointed end of the Kansas City /St. Louis-style spare rib, and then cut the pointed end of the slab off with a knife to make a squared end. Make a straight cut across the spare rib end on the opposite side to square it off.
(6) Peel a corner of the white membrane back using your fingers. Grab the corner of the membrane with a clean paper towel and peel the whole membrane back in one piece, then discard.

That my friend is what is referred to as a KC style or St. Louis style rib at least in my book

As for the Missouri cut and the Colorado cut that what I am wondering about never heard of them just asking if anyone has
RR

This is how I do a Kansas City /St. Louis-style spare rib

(1) Feel along the edge with the bones for a flap of tissue called the skirt that runs about two-thirds down the length of the spare rib slab and hangs off the bone.
(2) Lay the boning knife flat on the bone as a guide, then move the knife along the ribs as you slice off the flap; set this aside.
(3) Feel for the joint between the two sections of ribs that runs down the center of the slab, then slice down the cartilage to split the slab into two pieces.
(4) Set aside the narrow section referred to as “rib tips” on a baking sheet to barbecue separately, and keep the Kansas City /St. Louis-style spare rib on the cutting board.
(5) Find the pointed end of the Kansas City /St. Louis-style spare rib, and then cut the pointed end of the slab off with a knife to make a squared end. Make a straight cut across the spare rib end on the opposite side to square it off.
(6) Peel a corner of the white membrane back using your fingers. Grab the corner of the membrane with a clean paper towel and peel the whole membrane back in one piece, then discard.

That my friend is what is referred to as a KC style or St. Louis style rib at least in my book

As for the Missouri cut and the Colorado cut that what I am wondering about never heard of them just asking if anyone has
RR

Never hear that referred to as a "KC Style" before. That's a pure St. Louis trim there my friend. :thumb:

Never heard of a "Missouri Cut" or "Colorado Cut" either though, so what do I know? :wink:

I heard once that the difference between a St. Louis style rib and a KC Style rib was that on the KC Style the flap was left on....

Not sure how real it is, but I remember hearing it.

Never heard of all these other names for cutting ribs down. St Louis style is all I have ever heard of. Maine, or Arizona, or Washington cut...:sorry:

Honestly, I have been cutting meat for 22 years and have never heard of anything other than a full slab of spares or remove the breast bone for St. Louis style. I only use St. Louis for comps.
Sorry :confused:

Back