Choice of Hogs

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi,

If your options were completely open, what would you choose for your pork ribs? Berkshire? Something else?

Thanks,

Eric

Good question.

Since I've never used the Berkshire or Kurobuta pork, I have no frame of reference.

Personally, we buy spares that are not enhanced at the rare, AZ summer price of .99/lb. No matter the price, it always seems that (for us) one out of three racks are actually competition worthy.

Just one opinion and I'm sure that there are a lot of good rib cooks that have a lot more to offer.

I would choose kurobuta at this time. I may have found a source for Mangalitsa hogs, so this could change. I have to say, I really like the taste and quality of Beeler's Pure Pork when I can get them.

I personally like the cross-bred hogs of the Midwest, as long as they're raised and butchered properly. It's what I was raised on, and what my taste buds appreciate.

Most of the hogs we raised on our farm when I was a kid were cross-bred between American Yorkshire, Duroc, Landrace, and Berkshire.

Interesting. How much do you all figure food/diet of the hog figures into all this along with the breed?

I agree with Capn Kev. I also raised hogs for an FFA project in high school. I had 200 at the peak. I found that cross breeding would enhance the pork. As far as hog diet, it matters a lot. The fat content you want can be obtained by changing the hogs diet. I had people ordering hogs as they were growing. The last batch I sold had a solid 35% going to neighbors instead of market. They must of thought breed and diet matters.

So, I know some people who shall remain nameless that have spent quite a bit of money on angus or wagyu briskets for competitions. If you have the $ to spend, it seems like a great idea to do that a couple of times and see if there is a discernible difference in taste and results.

In poking around the internet for this thread, I've seen bone-in shoulders that are kurubuta going for about $3.00 a pound. To be honest, I was surprised and thought it would have been much more expensive. Has anyone experimented with them in competitions?

Thanks!

Eric

I only have experience with butts from a Birkshire hog. Can't imagine why I would spend more for that than what can get at Sam's. If a sponsor gave them to me, suren I'd use them. But I'd rather spend the extra money elsewhere.

Back