• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

I nailed the pastrami last Sunday.

T

Trawlerdog

Wanting to try my hand at making some pastrami I thought I'd start with a corned brisket from Hy-Vee and go from there.
Soaked, rinsed, soaked rinsed to get the salt out then packed in a pepper, juniper berry, rub for a couple of days in the fridge.
Sunday I threw in the NB with some other stuff.
Left it on the 'cooler' side and took the internal temps up to around 180 then packed it up in butcher paper and let it rest for couple of hours.
After cooling in the fridge over night and I sliced it up.
P1010225Medium.jpg

I nailed it. :bow:

Wow, that looks really nice. I would like to try my hand at making pastrami some day but have never gotten the nerve up to spend the cash on the stuff to make it.

Great photo as well... Must warn you though, with the title of this thread you should be prepared for the possibility that this train may be on the way to derailment. LOL

Did you steam it afterwards to warm up? I think I remember somewhere people saying the steaming is pretty key. Also I've found BBQ places that make their own pastrami without steaming to be overly salty.

looks great! I'd also like to know more about the steaming if anyone has any info. So why did you pull it at 180 instead of running it up to butter probe consistency?

Awesome looking Pastrami! Ever since I visited Katz's deli I've wanted to make my own pastrami...this fuels that desire...well done!

Did you steam it afterwards to warm up? I think I remember somewhere people saying the steaming is pretty key. Also I've found BBQ places that make their own pastrami without steaming to be overly salty.

I highly recommend steaming after slicing, in addition to using a circular slicer for nice thin deli style slices.

Here's a link to my most recent pastrami cook that details the steaming and slicing:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140226

I did not steam it but did double wrap it in butcher paper and packed in a cooler with a large pork butt and chuck that I had smoked. I'm sure that helped.

looks great! I'd also like to know more about the steaming if anyone has any info. So why did you pull it at 180 instead of running it up to butter probe consistency?

I was fighting the wind on Sunday and having some difficulty keep the temps up on the 'cool side' of the NB. The brisket was actually in the smoker for about 8 hours and probing tender to the touch at the end even though the interior temps never got over 180. I finally said 'enuf' and pulled it.

Excellent work, sir! :clap2:

I need to get on the pastrami train - that's one thing I haven't done yet that I would love to do.

The pastrami looks fantastic.
You mention steaming it,do you eat it warm/hot like cornbeef?
We make it but use it as a sandwich filler cold.
Cheers.
Titch

The pastrami looks fantastic.
You mention steaming it,do you eat it warm/hot like cornbeef?
We make it but use it as a sandwich filler cold.
Cheers.
Titch

I'll eat pastrami any way. I love it.
A nice grilled Rueben sandwich on rye bread is my favorite. My wife likes to mix turkey with hers. Both warm.

Brilliant pastrami!:clap:
titch I also steam, it just makes it more unctious and tender, give it a go.
Only ever used corned beef tho, wish I could find US brisket down here...

Back