North Texas Brethren Bash, Saturday Oct 18th - Lake Ray Roberts Isle du Bois State Park

It's unlikely I can make a Brethren lunch unless it's on a weekend, but I can certainly do a hand-off of the stuff to somebody that *can* make it.

It's unlikely I can make a Brethren lunch unless it's on a weekend, but I can certainly do a hand-off of the stuff to somebody that *can* make it.
With the spread of folks, I would bet it would be a weekend requirement for most as a lunch hour would go by quickly in driving time alone for everyone if we tried to do a weekday lunch.

Glad to hear that fun and some great looking food was had by all. Sorry we couldn't make it. The wife is just getting her stamina back after the surgery. Up to two to three hours max before a nap. Wouldn't have been ideal for a road trip.

I'll be looking forward to next year...

Glad to hear that fun and some great looking food was had by all. Sorry we couldn't make it. The wife is just getting her stamina back after the surgery. Up to two to three hours max before a nap. Wouldn't have been ideal for a road trip.

I'll be looking forward to next year...
Don't gotta wait a whole year...look for one in April/May again :wink:

No scheduling surgeries in those months :becky:

Glad she is feeling better and continues to improve!

Ray Rob also has a pav @ Bluestem. No lake view but a bit more wind sheltered; kid fish pond & horse trail access.

Ray Rob also has a pav @ Bluestem. No lake view but a bit more wind sheltered; kid fish pond & horse trail access.
We thought about that one but it is really kinda bare around there...or at least it was in April and the kid fishing pond was empty and overgrown.

I'm game for a lunch get toget her on a weekend ... juse need a couple days advanced notice. I'm also good on a new venue ... I'm pretty fond of Lake Whitney or Texoma. My dad and I spent many a fishing trip all over the place. Also, if it helps, I have a 10x20 ez up with sides - works awesome for sheltering the pits from the wind and other elements. Can also bring my generator for those needing power. Safe to say I've got the BBQ Brethren Bash BUG!! I loved meeting everyone. It was great to just hang, make new friends, share food and stories. It was one of the most laid back and relaxing days we've had in a long time. My wife loved it and thought it was great that everyone was so friendly and approachable.

I'm already planning my menu for next time!!! BTW I'm game for getting together with anyone anytime.

Y'all be my brothers!

Bill does your girl live in the metroplex? My wife would love to give her a call. She loves meeting other Filipinas.

Gerry

Looks like Lake Whitney has an awesome facility we could use. It's $50 more than the pavilions at Ray Roberts, but it's got an indoor kitchen. No more shaking rub in the wind!

DCP_0007.JPG

This spot has my vote for the spring.

Looks like Lake Whitney has an awesome facility we could use. It's $50 more than the pavilions at Ray Roberts, but it's got an indoor kitchen. No more shaking rub in the wind!

DCP_0007.JPG

This spot has my vote for the spring.

I see how you are. My turn to pay, and we go upscale. :mrgreen: Just kidding. If there is enough interest from the Central/South Texas folks, that does look nice. I checked the one at Eisenhower (Texoma), and it is actually cheaper ($50). It doesn't look like it has electric though. It does look to be away from the lake regarding winds.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/eisenhower/fees-facilities/group-facilties

Parking lot looks big enough for Pits as well ... :) However - $200 for the day and if we camp requires a 2nd day. Not sure but I think a Pavilion with electricity would be fine.

Last edited:
We used to camp at Lofers Bend. It is a CoE park rather than a state park. I think there may be a pavilion there.

Looking back I noticed that I never thanked our vendors (All Things BBQ and Ted & Barney's) for their generous gifts. Came home with 5 bottles of rubs! Can't thank these folks enough.

Also muchas gracias to Ron for the outstanding coffee. It really hit the spot, especially with a piece of pecan pie.

Looking back I noticed that I never thanked our vendors (All Things BBQ and Ted & Barney's) for their generous gifts. Came home with 5 bottles of rubs! Can't thank these folks enough.

Me too.

I've already sampled them and can't wait to try them!

Thank you!

Well folks, I'm glad to see and hear that a grand time was had by all at the elusive Texas bash. I didn't read all 31 pages of posts but I'm sure it was a great day. As it turns out I had a training conference for work the Saturday of the event. They brought in the entire Yamaha and Shure sound team for a day of hands on training for audio engineers. I had registered months earlier and thought it was the prior weekend. There were a few other bothersome issues as well that were in the way but I won't bore you with that. Bill, I'm sorry I did not get the opportunity to meet you after all these years. I guess there will be others so maybe down the road a ways.

I just read the entire thread and it seems AWESOME!
The pics are fantastic. (and a good time was had by all.)
How could we promote a D.C. area bash, there are alot of Brethren in MD and N.VA.
It doesn't seem the bash threads get much action, except for you guys and Cali?

I just read the entire thread and it seems AWESOME!
The pics are fantastic. (and a good time was had by all.)
How could we promote a D.C. area bash, there are alot of Brethren in MD and N.VA.
It doesn't seem the bash threads get much action, except for you guys and Cali?

You need one or two people to get the ball rolling. You just need to promote it properly and it will get plenty of attention.

Ron_L and I use to plan a mid winter lunch bash here in Northern IL. It got too big and I got sidetracked, Ron has taken it over. It started with like 5 of us at a Buffalo Wild Wings one year, then progressed to Uncle Bubs, then Dave and Busters, back to Uncle Bubs, then it just took off. I think Ron has like 40 or more that now attend.

Anyway, first off, research your area. I searched Maryland and got 269 hits: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/search.php?searchid=2970617
There are plenty of Welcome threads where people are from somewhere in Maryland.

Take down all their screen ID's. Post something here about a bash and see if there is interest. Send PM's to everyone on your research list, asking if interested, and posting a link to your thread. Search the comp forum for comps in your area, then note peoples locations that post in those threads. Those folks also are loaded with BBQ stories to tell!

First year, who knows, 5 people get together and have a good time. Next year 9, then 16, then 25 people are planning a weekend.

You just need a little time to get a group going, get some dates out there, then just do it. We ron gets 40 or so in the middle of winter and lets someone else do the cooking. Start like that, with a lunch bash.

Good luck!

Frognot,

What are the chances of you posting that chili recipe?

Back