Question about tenderness

jpw23

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
last Sunday's cook went very well....did a bunch of country style ribs and they were good....just not as tender as I had hoped. Spent nearly 8 hours in the smoker @ 225-275 degrees....did however finish on the grill to get a little char on the sauce......could this have been where I went wrong?

JGH is righ.. all ya had there was a sliced up pork butt..

sounds like they needed a little more time..

jpw, I almost always wrap "butt ribs" in a sort of 3-2-1 variation and they've always come out quite tender. Actually if I have them around I use a disposable aluminum pan with some juice in the bottom for an hour or two and an hour back out out of the pan to allow a little more rendering.

The markets here have both kinds of country ribs, the ones cut from the shoulder and the ones cut from from the blade end of a loin with the rib still attached. The loin country ribs only need to go to 145° or they will be dry. The shoulder style I cook just like a butt.

e3da15d0.jpg

e71dc5cf.jpg

Good point thirdeye, I never think of the loin "ribs" as I've never seen them in my area. I always assume c/s ribs are "butt ribs".

I prefer my pork from higher on the hog, I'd love to cook that chunk of meat in the lower picture, it looks like a pork prime rib<drool>

i know i may be razzed for this, but cooking them in pot of tomato sauce for a few hours, then taking them out and pulling them makes a great italian style pulled pork.. serve that on a loaf of garlic bread, with melted mozerrella cheese.

Just something differnet. :)

BBQchef33 said:
i know i may be razzed for this, but cooking them in pot of tomato sauce for a few hours, then taking them out and pulling them makes a great italian style pulled pork.. serve that on a loaf of garlic bread, with melted mozerrella cheese.

Razz from Texas...........
Done the same thing before Chief.....

:mrgreen:
jgh1204 said:
jpw, country ribs are just pork butts, what was your internal temp?

Finished up @ 160........then by request, put a few charred grill marks on them. no-one wanted to wait, starving rednecks!!!!:mrgreen:

BBQchef33 said:
i know i may be razzed for this, but cooking them in pot of tomato sauce for a few hours, then taking them out and pulling them makes a great italian style pulled pork.. serve that on a loaf of garlic bread, with melted mozerrella cheese. Just something differnet. :)

That sounds like a great sandwich! No razzing here.

When I make pork and kraut I use either a slab of spares or the country ribs. I cook 'em at 250° in the oven in a pan with a rack. Usually salt & pepper. After about 3 hours or so, they go into a covered pan with the kraut, some fresh cabbage and sliced onion. Couple of hours later I am a happy camper.

kcquer said:
Good point thirdeye, I never think of the loin "ribs" as I've never seen them in my area. I always assume c/s ribs are "butt ribs".
I prefer my pork from higher on the hog, I'd love to cook that chunk of meat in the lower picture, it looks like a pork prime rib<drool>

Here is how one of my cookin' buddies, fishlessman does them. He cuts them two ribs wide and cooks over direct coals, around 350° until they get to 145°....very tasty! My wife picked up two full roasts at a pork store in Illinois two weeks ago, we will be doing one soon.

b4d04b97.jpg

Dammit thirdeye, you don't cheat fair!! That is some fine lookin' eats there!!

I'm glad you brought up the kraut and rib thing too. My Mom used to fix a dish of kraut, c/s ribs with bbq sauce. I loved that stuff and haven't had it for years, but I think I'll be fixing some soon!

BBQchef33 said:

PooBah... You need to be on that show "Hell's Kitchen". You come up with the best sounding recipes!!!! Or maybe we should write to Fox and start a new reality show.... "Brethren Kitchen" :eusa_clap

Back