View Single Post
Old 04-26-2008, 09:51 PM   #135
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbrass View Post
I was frustrated when I wrote that earlier post. I could have worded my comments better.

In most venues, this forum being the sole exception I've encountered, newcomers are strongly encouraged to search and read before asking questions. And for good reason. Much can be learned that way. Lazy newbies who can't be bothered to search annoy the regulars.

My initial motivation for joining a forum is usually to gain access to the search function and the ability to view attachments. Joining here felt like a bait and switch. Welcome to the forum, but now to get much practical use out of it payment is required upfront. That strikes me as totally backwards. Usually, the value obtained from a site/forum over time inspires one to donate. Requiring a fee in advance for such basic functionality is a pay site approach. Different strokes for different folks, but had I known that was the deal I probably wouldn't have registered.

I think someone mentioned boolean searches, perhaps implying that a simple single word search is possible. Nope. Non-subscribing members apparently have no searching ability here at all with the exception of the FAQ searchbox. I can't even pull up my previous posts or look up threads I've posted in. I find that to be an extremely frustrating environment.
You aren't helping yourself much here. How about going to "Cattle Call" and introducing yourself instead of veiled and not so veiled complaints about how a very successful and popular forum is run. We aren't interested at all in how "other forums" are run. We like it here because it is different.

You are welcome here, but if all you are going to do is complain about the forum we love, then maybe you just aren't going to fit in. I'm sure you will fit in if you'll try to conform instead of changing us.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote