7-bone Chuck...what to do?

Desert Dweller

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I got a screaming deal (.99 per lb) on 7-bone chuck roasts. Now, I've never smoked a bone in chuck, but at .99 per pound how could I afford to pass on the chance to experiment? I've got two of these things, one about 12 lbs and the other about 17 lbs. They are thicker than the point end of a fat brisket. My plan was some simple bbq beef, like "pulled beef". Any suggestions, comments, cautions?

Bo,

I would definately do 1 like a pork butt for pulled beef. I really liked the pulled beef sandwich. Very nice. The other one .........not sure. Wow that was helpful! :rolleyes:

If I recall correctly, a few years back Cooks Illustrated said this was one of the best cuts to make pot roast out of. My guess is that's its pretty well marbled so I think pulled beef is an excellent idea. don't have any advice but I'm interested to hear how you make out. Good Luck!

Great for pulled beef. I like a rub with a lot of pepper. Dizzy Pig Cow Lick is one of my favorites for Chuck. Montreal steak seasoning isn't bad either but a little too salty for me sometimes. If I'm using a milder wood, like Pecan I've got no worries about over-smoking by taking my time. They also cook really well, cooking at a higher temp. If you do the latter, it's just like anything else as far as sugar content in your rub....if you cook too hot the sugar will burn. Keep an eye on them, because once the fat really starts to render they can finish in a hurry.

I picked up a couple of those to Bo, I put one on the Kamado and smoked it with some pecan and then put it in a DO with veggies. So easy a caveman can do it.:lol:

Thx!

I'm gonna do the larger one for pulled beef today. I have Cow Lick and I like Jorge's suggestion.

I'm also gonna do the smaller one as a pot roast on the smoker sometime in the near future. That receipe linked by Ron looks dang good, and about as simple (like me) as one can get...

Anyone else wanna keep adding suggestions I'll give them a go as time allows...

Thanks fellers!

I usually go to Sam's Club in the morning; when they open at 7am.
That's the best time to buy Chuck Roasts that have been marked down...
as well as any other meat that has been marked down.

I will keep 2 or 3 in the freezer during the winter to make Pot Roast with
in the Crock pot. In the summer; I will either cook them whole on my
grill (can't have a smoker where I live); they can take 1 1/2 to 2 hours,
or I just cut it up in to 6 or 8oz. portions and grill them Hot & Fast.
Chuck Roasts have lots of flavor.

I'm sure you could easily smoke it; then shred it for sandwiches; if you
have a lot left over; you can freeze it and use it later for Burritos & Tacos,
or Chilie, or French Dip sandwiches....you can even toast a hamburger bun,
and warm up some of the Shredded Beef you made....pile a nice portion on
top of both the bun top & bottom that is laying on your plate face up.
Then spoon some homemade Chilie (or Green Chilie) on top of that,
followed by some, grated cheddar cheese, and you'll have a
fantastic meal to devour.

Bo,

Try Thirdeye's Pepper Beef reciepe. It is fantastic, and very easy.

Love me some Chuckies with Sweet and Spicy, Bo!:cool:

DSC00041.jpg

Back