• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Flanken Ribs Platter

beercuer

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
This is my official entry for the "South of the Border" Throwdown, Please.

How about we start by picking up good libations, just to set the mood straight? Some folk call my margaritas a snow cone for adults, seeing that I like to crush up the ice with the drink rather fine. Does anyone else besides me sense Jimmy Buffett's song "Margaritaville" going on in their brain?

flanken_margarita_zpsed071ff5.jpg

We are going to be building a platter involving three kinds of meats-- chicken, pork chorizo, and beef flanken ribs, along with a plethora of supporting "South of the Border" ingredients.

Let's head out to the pit now and get the chicken goin'. Now some of you will remember these chick pics from my sammich post, but some of you may not. I'm getting double duty out of this. You can see that I added a hunk of lump to give the bird a subtle but distinct mesquite nuance.

bltsammy_cknstart_zps714ebe50.jpg
bltsammy_ckngrilled_zps98e3c500.jpg

A better examination of the grilled bird...

bltsammy_cknplated_zpsb6f74587.jpg

And now pulled, ready for use in the platter...

bltsammy_cknshredded_zps367c0ee4.jpg

Let's move on to the chorizo. Here's a look at the way I like to prepare mine, with chopped onion, red jalapeno, and of course the ever famous habanero.

flankenplatter_chorizoingred_zpsb31c6d7a.jpg

flankenplatter_chorizostart_zps61fa852f.jpg

flankenplatter_chorizofinish_zps97537995.jpg

Now I guess it's on to the main attraction or entree-- the flanken ribs. I like to rub and marinate these just as I do for carne asada steak-- using rub, fresh juice from orange, and minced garlic.

flankenplatter_ribsmarinade_zps69ef0995.jpg
flankenplatter_irbstart_zps35077c2e.jpg

I would not be surprised if these flanken ribs were a new thing to some of you. I can say they are mouthwatering delicious, and if you ever get the chance,... . I smoke these with mesquite.

flankenplatter_ribsfinish_zps7d30f1db.jpg

Here is a plated view...

flankenplatter_ribsplated2_zpsb941f5ea.jpg

At last it is time to start building this platter. What you probably do not see underlying all these concentric rings is an extra grande size flour tortilla. This makes it handy for running an acrylic pizza cutter so one can sneak sections out, like a pizza, with a spatula. Anyway, starting from the center and working our way outward, we have crema mexicana, guacamole, homemade refried black beans and that shredded chicken, the chorizo and queso fresco cheese, shredded romaine lettuce with cilantro, sliced tomatoes and black olives, shredded cheddar cheese. Chile limon chicharrones support the corners, and blue corn tortillas fill up the central edge. Lastly, the flanken ribs flank the sides. And I think I'm "wasting away again in Margaritaville".
Please use this pic as my specific entry :dancer:

flankenplatter_plated2b_zpsdcf8968d.jpg

That looks awesome!

Looks like we have good taste in Margarita glasses - I have the exact same ones!

Everything looks delish, flanken ribs are very tasty, i like to have the market cut them about 2" thick to smoke or 1" thick to grill, either way they are delish.

Thank you kindly everyone.

Moose, yeah-- what's not to luv about green cactus stems? My hat is off to whoever thought of that one.

What is your rita recipe?

I use 2-parts frozen limeade, 2-parts tequila, and one part triple-sec (or Grand Marinier). I blend mine super fine, too.

I sometimes use Blue Curaçao as the third liquor to mimic the Blue Margarita from Blue Mesa Grill.

CD

Attachments

• happyhour-margarita-bluemesagrill.jpg
    happyhour-margarita-bluemesagrill.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 9
Looks great, if anyone has never tried ribs like that you are missing out. If you have access to a Mexican store they are fairly cheap get them to prepare/season them for you. Also if they have Chorizo that they make it is worlds better than the plastic tube form.

Back