Competing with an Offset?

Pa_BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I know its not ideal, but does anyone compete well with an offset?

Just curious how they handle all the different meats on 1 cooker.

We use a Lang 84 and cook 3 butts, 2 briskets 4 racks of ribs and about 15 thighs. Big meats start on the top rack and when they are wrapped the get moved to the bottem and then ribs and chicken go on the top.

LOTS use a offset for comps. I have a homemade one I am using. Best thing to do is practice at home cooking all the meats to determine how to get them all done in time. Most have there big meats done by 9-10 O'clock Sat morning. So they don't get in the way for chicken at least.

i just switched to an offset, i think that it helps me focus more as i have to keep my attention on it and the meats inside it more than before when i was using my CTO or WSM/gurus. Plus i have had great results with it.

We use a Lang 84 Deluxe and are very happy with it. In it's first comp at the American Royal, we took 12th in ribs. It is very easy to travel with as well.

For KCBS I do the same as MAP. MBN I can get shoulders on the bottom and ribs on the top, but BARELY.

We use a Lang 84 Deluxe and are very happy with it. In it's first comp at the American Royal, we took 12th in ribs. It is very easy to travel with as well.

This is exactly why I am considering it. The BBQ trailer loaded up is nice but dang is it heavy and a job to travel with.

Although we have only done local comps with the offset we built, our catering is an onsite service. People tend to get annoyed if the food isnt done on time. My pits hot and cold spots are used for different kinds of meats, as was mentioned before. Keep in mind, my pit was made by a nonpitmaker also. A jambo/lang/meadow creek or whatever is going to outperform mine in fuel consumption. So less tending to at a comp i would imagine. My pit on the otherhand would withstand a nuclear strike i think. I'm kinda curious how its gonna perform at our first sams club comp in pittsburgh in a few weeks.

https://picasaweb.google.com/103775...hkey=Gv1sRgCO6QxtLmsMnJUg#5765915055213587682

I started this year with a TS 250 but I have a good friend that has been competing with a TS 120. He is winning a lot. I just cooked and did 15th chicken, 7th Ribs, 39th pork( bummer) and 11th brisket out of 48 teams. Use what you have. That Meadow is awesome.

My offset is great in normal conditions. Cold or Rain make it tuff, but I love the smoke ring that I get. Good Luck

Back