• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
I would consider a hole for a remote meat probe on the side at grate level too.

That is how I have done mine, thread it though a hole in the side and stick it through a block of wood in the middle of the grate.

IMG_2607.jpg

IMG_2606.jpg

I'm considering moving my temperature gage from the side of my drum to the lid. Does it give more accurate readings there?

Like all domes top is hotter. i have 3 racks and average. Moat times 30-50 degrees delta.

A little trick to for removing paint after burn is take a wire wheel like this and trap between 2 nuts and washers on a 3 ft. piece of 1/2 allthread (threads are to fit 5/8-11thd shaft). Chuck up in a descent 1/2" drill motor and run up and down inside of drum while spinning.
91279.gif

clear.gif

BINGO!!! problem solved thanks Norco.

Great thread ... Thanks for all the fantastic info. Now just gotta decipher (?) it all and start the build.

After a couple burns "inside" the barrell, does it need wire brushed or something? Power wash? Thanks.

I'll get my 18 year old to show me how. I thought I had ended my search for a smoker when I bought my Stump GF223 2 years ago. This thread has thrown me a curve ball! I can't wait to get started. I have been impressed! This site reminds me of Stumps site a year ago.

Sneak peek of UDS 2.0
Just "threw it together" tonite in about 2 hr's, may do a pictoral of the build later!! :biggrin:

Back