My UDS maiden voyage (with Pron)

M

Merlinspop

Well... here goes.

When I made my UDS a few weeks ago, I completely goobered up the lid. Couldn't find anyone to help weld a rim to a donor kettle lid I had, so I went online. Found a Wok lid that I thought would work. Turned out to be a bit too small so I returned it for the next larger size, then went on a trip for work.

Got back this weekend and the new lid arrived Tuesday. Drilled it out for exhaust and relocated the handles (had them up near the top. Better where they are now).

Here (hopefully) is a pic of the smoker with lid and a close up of the lid itself. There's enough space between the rack and the lid for a gallon milk jug to sit, so it's a reasonable height.

100_13611.jpg

100_13621.jpg

I did a seasoning burn yesterday starting at 4 pm and put a fatty (just the sausage, no filling) on just to get some greasy smoke to coat the insides. Was happy that the temps were easy to control with the magnets (a suicide prevention magnet... which, I guess, it's serving it's purpose, perhaps not in the intended manner). After the fatty was done (about 5 hours into the seasoning burn) I opened 3 of the 4 holes and the temps stabilized up to 350 and stayed there for at least another 2 hours before I went to bed at 11. This morning, there were still a few coals burning, but the temp was resting on it's peg.

Cleaned it out with a pooper scooper (a new one), and fired it back up to try it out with some spare ribs. I didn't read enough on here to know that the concensus is not to apply the rub the night before. Oh, well.

100_13651.jpg

Will let you all know how those turn out.

More later!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cooks Direct. It was sort of a "this'll work and I'm fed up looking for something cheaper and I got to go out of town for work so I'll just order the darn thing and be done with it" thing. The lid cost as much as, er, the rest just about. But it works.

Great looking drum!! I like your lid too. :cool:

Decided at the 3 hour mark to check and spritz with an apple/cherry/grape juice (it was all I had on hand).

Spritzasaurus (Father's Day gift this year)
100_13661.jpg

Ribs, front and back:
100_13681.jpg
100_13691.jpg

Temps at the perimeter just below the grate have been registering 225* pretty constantly the whole time. Thermometer passed the boiling water test so it's probably fairly accurate. I'd guess the temps closer to the middle are in the 250* range.

I think I'll give them only another half hour then foil them up with more juice for an hour. I think...

This is fun! Far better already than the cheap offset I fought with for years.

Nice drum, nice view. I'd grab a cold one and sit back, enjoy the view and the wonderful smell of smoke.

Looks like you were well on your way. So what was your final verdict?

What size lid is that you ordered?

Patrick

The 25 inch one. 24.5 would have been perfect, but the manufacturer went to whole inch sizes and sent a 24 in one originally.

Norco said:
Looks like you were well on your way. So what was your final verdict?

Was a bit overcooked, falling off the bone. Also VERY salty. Like eating Country ham. I like country ham, but not with ribs in it. Good smoke taste, but oh, so salty. A decent start and I learned a bit.

phubar said:
I want me a spritzer like that!
I think she ordered it from Alton Brown's website.

q-this said:
Is that background for real?
Dang that's some back yard ya got!
I can only imagine what the front porch looks like :grin:

Thanks. The yards photograph better than they look (terrible dirt here, only weeks grow well and it's all down hill so it looks bigger). We were one of the first to buy in this neighborhood and got a good price. I guess it was to compensate for construction noise and dust for 2 and a half years. We couldn't have afforded to buy into the area later. Not much of a front yard. Our lot is pie shaped with the biggest part in the back. Made for a good sized back yard for the dog (RIP Merlin).

Back