View Single Post
Old 11-13-2011, 01:11 PM   #150
Moose
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Richard
Default Spice Rubbed Ribs with Chipotle-Honey Glaze

Here's my entry for the As Seen on TV TD:

I don't watch much TV, but on occasion, I happen to enjoy a show or two from the Food Network. A while back, I caught an episode of Grill It! With Bobby Flay that featured a rib recipe I thought might be worth trying.

Basically he used a savory dry rub on the ribs and and then slow cooked them, then the last 30 mins applied the chipotle honey glaze.

You can watch the video here:

Honey-Glazed Spice-Rubbed Ribs-Food Network - YouTube

I made a couple of alterations to the recipe. First, I cut the rub recipe in half, as he was using 2 racks of whole untrimmed spares and I used BB's which have about 50% of the surface area of whole spares. Second, I felt the glaze would be way too thick without some liquid to dilute it, so I added about 1/3 cup fresh squeezed Valencia orange juice, which gave me the consistency I was looking for. I also halved the glaze recipe due to the smaller BB ribs.

First, I assembled the dry rub ingredients together, which consisted of chili powder, chile de arbol, dry mustard, kosher salt, paprika, oregano, coriander, black pepper, and cumin:

I then put all of these in the spice grinder:

I gave the ribs a good rinsing, then removed the membrane:

Then applied the rub:

I covered the ribs and let them sit for about 4 hours.

Later that same very day, I fired up the WSM:

Then added some pecan chunks:

Then I put the ribs on:

This was a hot and fast cook, so I dialed in the WSM at 300 degrees.

About an hour later:

Later, I put together the ingredients for the glaze. I decided to add some crushed red chili (Or as the label says, Chili Crusht) because I really like spicy stuff:

I blended the honey, crushed chili, orange juice, and about 1.5 heaping tsp of chipotle. When I tasted the mixture, I nearly jumped out of my pants! This stuff was hot. I could only hope the heat would mellow quite a bit due to heat exposure from the smoker.

Not long after, I began generously mopping the ribs with the incendiary liquid, and did so about every 10 minutes:

When both racks of ribs passed the bend test, with flying colors, I pulled them off the smoker for a brief rest:

After a brief resting period, I began slicing the ribs:

I then plated the ribs, and gave them a sprinkle of fresh chopped cilantro:

The ribs were delicious! The dry rub was a completely different flavor profile than what I am used to, and was very tasty. Fortunately the heat from the glaze mellowed considerably from cooking, and I'm really glad I added the orange juice to the glaze.

Full recipe is HERE.

Chris, when you awaken from your nap, please use second to last pic for TD entry.

Last edited by Moose; 11-13-2011 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: Forgot the pecan chunk pic!
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->