Porchetta with an Asian flare

BBQ Grail

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I've been working on the recipes for this cook for a couple months. This may be the most ambition project I've ever done.

This is an Asian flavor "porchetta" that I came up with. It's grass-fed berkshire hog side meat (trimmed pork belly) that was brined with Asian ingredients and rolled with asparagus, bok choy and spinach.

Porchetta7.jpg

Recipes are below but if you'd still care to read my blog post the link is here

Last edited:
That is an excellent product Larry, I read the longest blog post you have ever made.

Looks great...

how 'bout posting the recipe right here rather than the link to the blog ?

Instead of clicking once here you go...

Asian Ginger Brine A great deal of detail was paid to the brine recipe. A proper brine ratio of water to salt is important. I listed the ingredient brands for the brine because I calculated the amount of sodium in each so that I kept the proper ratio of salt to water. If you use different ingredients you will want to pay close attention to the amount of sodium in each to maintain the correct ration.
Ingredients:

• 2 quarts water
  • 1/4 cup turbinado
  • 1/4 cup mirin
  • ¼ cup Ohsawa Tamari Soy Sauce
  • 3 tablespoons, Morton Kosher Salt
  • 1/2 cup Red Boat Fish Sauce
  • 1/8 cup szechuan peppercorns
  • ¼ cup fresh ginger, peeled and minced
  • 2 star anise pod, whole
  • 2 tablespoons Shichimi Togarashi
Directions:

Heat water, sugar, tamari, mirin and salt to a boil in a saucepan over medium high heat to a boil. Stir occasionally to dissolve. When dissolved add peppercorns, ginger, star anise and togarashi.
Decrease heat and simmer for 20 minutes to blend all ingredients. Remove from heat. Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate before using.
Asian Pork Miso Broth
Ingredients:

• 2 pounds pork bones (I used a couple pounds of pork rib trimmings)
  • 1 medium white onion, sliced
  • 4 cloves garlic, whole
  • 2 inch section of ginger, cut into slices
  • 1 inch section of ginger, skinned and large diced
  • 1 stalk of leek, sliced
  • 1/4 cup miso
  • Oil for frying
  • water
Directions:

Place the pork bones in a large pot and cover with water. Bring pot to a boil and cook for five minutes. While the water comes to a boil saute the onion, leeks and garlic in oil. Make sure you cook the veggies and get a nice dark caramelization on them. This is important for a deep rich flavor. When the pork has boil for five minutes, drain the water, rinse the meat and clean the pot. Return pork bones to the pot and cover with water. Add the cooked veggies and the sliced ginger. Bring the whole mixture to a boil, reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 5 or 6 hours. Remove any foam that appears and add water to keep everything covered.
After cooking, strain off all the bones, fat and veggies using a fine mesh strainer and cheese cloth. Chill overnight. The next day remove any fat that forms on the top. Return to the stove and gently reheat the broth adding whole piece of ginger and 1/3 cup miso. Once you add the miso do not allow the broth to boil. Let the broth simmer for an hour. Remove the ginger and strain once more. It’s ready to serve.
BBQ Grail Miso Glaze
Ingredients

• 1/2 cup Mirin
  • 1/2 cup Blood Orange juice
  • 1/2 cup Soy Sauce ( I used Oshawa)
  • 1/2 cup Hoisin sauce
  • 1/2 cup Asian Pork Broth
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup Rice Wine Vinegar
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Directions:

Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan. Heat gently and reduce to a thicker syrup like consistency.

Larry, I just got back from HK with a bucket load of Japanese ingredients, a SERIOUS Japanese cookbook... 1/2 Education and technique, the other half recipes. I posted on Twitter pretty much now "How the fark do I turn this into BBQ"

You've already done it...:thumb:

You wizard of Q'!

Cheers!

Bill

Back