First time... getting paid, too!

BBQ Bandit

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Took a gamble last year at my job... smoked 7 racks (out of pocket) for the Company... and is paying off this year.

Was offered to be a paid caterer... during the week of July 4th.

Considering a mini buffet for 15: (not required - beverages will be provided - elsewhere)
(6) racks pork spares
(3) dozen chicken legs
(3) qts. Keri's beans
(3) dozen ABT's

Anticipating leftovers for guests/doggie bags.

Thinking (Cost + $200 + paid by hour/paycheck.)
Don't want to charge too high... first time for the Bosses.

Am I shooting myself in the foot?

Last edited:
Yes, you are. If you set the precedent of you working by the hour on your time off, and your side biz, you are setting an employee/ employer relationship instead of caterer/client relationship,.

Do biz as usual. Contracts, signatures, and a final price.

I f you do it by the hour, word of mouth says that's how you work.
I dunno 'bout you, but my Q is worth way more than what I make at my 9 to 5.

Not knowing what type of eaters will be at the event, I might increase the number of racks you're gong to cook, if you anticipate leftovers. If you're allowing the people to serve themselves, they may take three or four ribs at one shot.

As long as you have your costs covered and making a profit, you should be good to go. But that profit better satisfy you for future jobs witht the company. Do they know this is an "introductory" fee and it may go up in the future?

Be sure to write everything down that you used or spent money on. That way you can guage what your needs will be, costs are and how much of each item is needed. This will help you see how much profit you are actually making.

Good luck!

good advice on setting up and clearly defining the relationship.

professionalism is always appreciated and valued. By acting accordingly you will most like boost your value in the eyes of your employer because they will consider you a smart and professional business person.

good luck!

Back