Born on the dark side...

Guando

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Have been really enjoying the forum and have learned so much from the short time I have been here. I have always loved bbq and being in Connecticut that can be a lonely place unless you make it yourself. I was reading meatheads website 6 months ago and stumbled across pellets... I was intrigued because what they offered fit my current lifestyle. I have two small children, own a business and like to keep busy so tending a fire all day isn't in the cards at this point. Someday yes but right now no... I stumbled across nucornhusker post about the ys1500 and I was hooked. I was looking at the ys640 prior to that but couldn't get the 1500 out of my head.... So I took the often repeated advice of the forum "Go Big!". I took delivery on Monday and cleaned it up during the week. Initial burn Friday and seasoned on Saturday with my first cook being spatchcock chicken. I want to publicly thank nucornhusker for dealing with my endless private messages and helping me make an informed decision. Here are some pics.

She had a rough ride but only some cosmetic stuff which Yoder is sending paint.
E9ADCCD9-4C9B-4976-BCD6-986B1DF3131E.jpg

Unwrapped on the pallet
5BBB48D1-64BF-4092-B5B2-BF87A38D2892.jpg

On the patio and ready to go!
d5ddcea76b476e487f0f6eedc98872ac.jpg

Season time! Pam the inside and cooked some bacon. Didn't get a finished pic because I needed to get the chicken on. It was even across the top and bottom though.
e1b0d1f838d9465a67cab71726c310d1.jpg

Chicken on... Cooked at 300 with plowboys yardbird.
67011DB1-B70C-4149-9170-5B68FEC9337D.jpg

Chicken done. It was really good and my father in law, who is tough to please in the food department, raved about it. It surprised him I think.
2e9fe1ab3c1e2dfbe1b9cdb38556b307.jpg

Covered for the night. Bought an Atv cover. Seems to work really well.
617d4802ccb0f5e1e21c4ffece2e16c6.jpg

Love it so far! Thanks for looking!

Awesome, Branford isn't too far from me so don't be surprised if it comes up missing. ;)

Awesome, Branford isn't too far from me so don't be surprised if it comes up missing. ;)

Lol. Don't you dare.... I am afraid someone is going to come back here and think it is an Atv and want to steal it. Once they take the cover off, they will have no idea what it is. Moves really easy on the comp cart.

Hey man, I'm more than happy to help. I'm glad the pit has worked well for you so far. I love seeing what other people cook on their 1500's and I hope to see more from your pit. I did wings tonight on mine and I ate way too many of them. :wink:

SWEET looking smoker. Congratulations, and enjoy many happy and successful cooks on it. By the way, did you have BLT's from all that bacon?

Blessings, :pray:
Omar

SWEET looking smoker. Congratulations, and enjoy many happy and successful cooks on it. By the way, did you have BLT's from all that bacon?

Blessings, :pray:
Omar

Lol. I saved it and will have for breakfast and various other things this week. It was pretty cheap bacon so I am not too concerned. It was like $1.25 a pound, so it may not actually be bacon...

Did a pork Butt yesterday. Came out really good. It was about 9 pounds and started it at 6am at 250. Rubbed with SM sweet and spicy.

Wrapped at 11am and bumped up the temp to 275. Internal was 154.
58425AD2-D0D8-4433-B691-A7C591CA1644.jpg

I thought I had a while so I brought the kids to swimming at 11:30 and got back at 1:30. It blew through the stall and was done when I got home. Pulled it rested it for 15 minutes then wrapped and in a warm cooler till 5:30 when my family came over. I took the juices from the foil and put them in the fridge to separate. Here is a pick of it pulled. It was awesome. I have to thank everyone here because I have learned so much I didn't panic when it was done early.

Thanks for lookin!

Last edited:
Hey man, I'm more than happy to help. I'm glad the pit has worked well for you so far. I love seeing what other people cook on their 1500's and I hope to see more from your pit. I did wings tonight on mine and I ate way too many of them. :wink:

Wings will be in the near future for me. I can't get enough of them. As I learn on the pit, i will be using your thread for a cookbook/instruction guide. Thanks again.

Back