For my Xmas PR I use;

Kosher Salt
Black Pepper
Granulated Garlic
Granulated Onion
& Coffee

The coffee adds an extra layer of flavor
that I really like on my PR's.

fo sho the temp to pull from da initial low heat roast 200-250 depd on the size of the rib roast and how high the temp is. closer to 200 with a small roast you can pull at an internal of 129-130 since there wont be as much rise. closer to 250 and or a large roast there is more rise so you gotta pull at 122-125. if you dont want to worry bout it do 125.

I just cooked a strip loin roast that I pounded into the shape and thickness of a prime rib a couple of nights ago. Cooked it at 275 indirect on the BGE, until it was about 100. Took it off, and tented in butcher paper for intermediate rest for about 30 minutes. Meanwhile ran temp up on BGE to about 550, and put it back on for a good sear, got it pulled at about 130, and let rest again.

The ends got a little closer to medium, which was fine for some of the guests, but the middle pieces were money, perfect pink all they way through, very little to no gray band around edges.

Good stuff! Made killer philly cheese steak sandwiches with left overs last night for dinner, highly recommend that.

I tend to pull at 125F internal as well, except when BIL is eating, then I go to 130F internal. I always try to buy bone-on. I feel it cooks better, I like the bones part and I just do not understand why it is so hard for folks to carve a roast off the bone. I had to watch yet another roast totally butchered this past Thanksgiving.

Thank you all for replies. I feel much better now about doing this on my smoker. I promise to post results after cooked!

One last thing, what kind of cook time can i expect for a 10 to 12 pound roast?

Thanks again!!

I just wanted to post a few pics to clarify the difference in cooking temperatures. The roast I cooked and reverse-seared below was cooked initially at 225*:

IMG_4578.jpg

You can clearly see that the pinkness extends all the way to the edge of the roast. The one below was cooked by Ron_l at 275*:

IMG_4172.jpg

You can see that the outer edges are cooked a bit more than the center. Note also that he does not perform a reverse sear, but just does a slow roast the entire time. Here is one cooked by Boshizzle at 325*;

picture.php

The outer cap is well done now and the inner portion is medium rare. Note also that every roast shown is absolutely delicious! :hungry:

There are three points to this:
1. Different cooking temperatures will give you a different product. The higher the temperature, the greater the doneness gradient in the meat. This is true for everything you cook. It is why we cook smaller pieces of meat at higher temperatures than large pieces.
2. There is no "right way" as all of them taste absolutely delicious!
3. Rib roast is easy. How many things can you vary the cooking temperature by 100* (or more) and still have a great product?

Thank you sir!! Those look great and thanks for the explanation!

Thank you sir!! Those look great and thanks for the explanation!

You're welcome. Unfortunately, I really don't remember how long I cooked mine (I'm thinking to plan for about 3 hours total, but it might be a bit longer), and the length of time will depend on what temp you choose and how big the roast is. One other point: You can go searching rib roast threads and you'll probably find thousands that say how wonderful theirs came out, but I don't recall seeing a single one that said their roast sucked. Kinda tells you that this is easy.

I believe that was the very first thing I cooked on our new Oval and even it turned out ok. :becky:

I have had a ruined Prime Rib, but, you really have to start off with a bad piece of meat, and then really screw it all up, and even then, it is pretty hard to get completely wrong.

Here is one done my way...
sliced1.jpg

I use an olive oil paste, basically a mixture of parsley (I prefer flat leaf), thyme, basil and oregano in equal parts (1T each), then kosher salt and fresh ground medium grain black pepper (4T each), mix into about 1/2 cup of good olive oil, then slather onto the roast. From there, 225F to 250F, cook until internal is 125F to 135F, pull, tent and rest for 30 minutes or so.

don't really understand cutting the bones off and tying back on. I know people do but I like the flavor of bone in roasts. It takes under 10 seconds to cut the roast off the rack when you are ready, and it's not like it's a technical cut. Those things in mind, please help me understand the benefit of cutting the roast off the rack then tying it back together.

1)you will get your flavor / spice profile in between the bone and main meat. As we all know the spice will only travel just under the surface, it never will penetrate no matter how long.
2) this also helps the flavor on the bone, which in my opion is the best part. Getting that salt in the middle really kicks it up and it is ready to go once out of the cooker.OR you can place on the grill for another sear..
3) when you do this ahead of time, especially when you have 2 or 3 large roast going on, it will help you serve your guests. You will be able to slice any size you want or location for doneness... and when people ask for a bone in, you can neatly place along side the main piece. Now when the first one is done being sliced, you can have an instant start on the next one.
However the size of the roast, even a two or three boner this is how I prefer to do it, but if you have 150 or 200 people to serve and you are the one standing there with the peoples plates pointed at ya you have to rock and this gives you the best chance to keep the line moving...with the best flavor they will ever have..
Also, I will have a grill going at the next station for the people that want a quick sear, or a well done piece..
Give it a try, you will NOT be dissapointed....

so i was unable to locate a bone in prime rib at my local costco today. i settled for a boneless. its safely in the freezer now, not to be seen again until christmas! thank you all again for the help. photos to follow in a few weeks.

:cool:

here is a preliminary shot. wish me luck. as you can see, to spendy for a practice run, so im going to do my best.

photo-1.JPG

so i was unable to locate a bone in prime rib at my local costco today. i settled for a boneless. its safely in the freezer now, not to be seen again until christmas! thank you all again for the help. photos to follow in a few weeks.

:cool:

here is a preliminary shot. wish me luck. as you can see, to spendy for a practice run, so im going to do my best.

photo-1.JPG

If I spent that much on a piece of meat for Christmas my guest's better know that's their Christmas present too.

around here black angus is 6 25 for a whole roast...on the special rack at rest depot I got my last angus for 5 bucks ---even trimned! ...dont freeze it, let it wet age for a month...

If I spent that much on a piece of meat for Christmas my guest's better know that's their Christmas present too.

Yeah i hear you. This is an out of the ordinary purchase for me. However my parents are coming to town and I don't get to see them but a couple times per year, so I kind of splurged for them.

The unfortunate result of this purchase is that my backyard bbq cooking budget is now way over spent for this month. So nothing but simple stuff for the next few weeks. Not that my spatch cooked chicken last night was bad, but I do love a nice butt or a brisket now and then.

Hello all! :yo:

With Christmas looming, and my parents coming to town from Colorado for a 10 day stint to visit and spend time with their grandkids, I wanted to make them something special for Christmas Eve dinner. A USDA Prime prime rid.

I am hoping to gain some knowledge on a prime rib on my Vision kamado cooker.

I have never done a prime rib before on a smoker, bbq, etc. And as you can imagine, with the cost of a USDA Prime prime rib, a couple practice runs are not in the budget! My local Costco is stacked with them right now, and I plan on picking one up this weekend, freezing it, and making it on the 24th.

My goals.

1. A nice bark on it. My rub will be pretty basic prime rib rub. I am a keep it simple kind of guy. Kosher salt, pepper, granulated garlic, and dried rosemary. I use montreal steak seasoning and Todds Dirt (herb rub)

2. A very nice, warm, juicy & pink medium rare center. I do a reverse sear to achieve that. I smoke at lower temp and then finish at high heat.

So here goes my questions. Please feel free to copy and paste the questions and add your response.

1. Boneless, or bone in? Im leaning towards boneless, only because of the ease in slicing once done. Will the bone in be better? Bone in usually the bone is almost detached and you can put the rub in between the ribs and the meat. I cook rib side down to help shield the meat from the heat.

2. What temp to cook at? Low, slow 225-275ish? Or would you all consider something higher? 300-350ish? The second one I did was at the lower temp around 275.

3. What temp to cook it to? I was thinking cooking it to 125 and then resting and slicing at 135 for a nice medium rare? Or would cooking to 120 and slicing at 130 be better? Bingo. I pull at 125 and then rest until just before serving. 15 minutes before I serve it I broil it in the oven at 500 to sear the outside

4. Method for cooking in smoker. Do you put it in a shallow roasting pan like an oven bake, or set it on the rack like I do pork shoulder, brisket, etc? And if on the rack, do I use a water pan on top of my ceramic deflector? I used the baking pan. I am not super familiar with the ceramic but I don't think you need a water pan.

5. Direct or indirect heat? I did direct but I have a weber so it has a large space between the fire and the food.

6. Lace with butcher string while cooking? I did. I probably wouldn't if it was boneless.

7. Last but not least, what wood to use while cooking? I have the lump for the cooker, just need to decide on a wood. Oak is coming to mind, or maybe hickory? I really like pecan with beef but that is a personal choice I think.

Thank you all in advance for any help possible. I really want to make a great meal, but unfortunately I cant do any practice runs due to cost of the meat. I know its a bit of a gamble, but with all the great stuff I have read around here, I know I can get it right the first time. I have all my sides vectored out, so Im all good there.

Im new around here and mostly read, so this is really my first posting looking for help. I will post pron once made so everyone can see my efforts.

Thanks again!!

-Kevin

If you are looking at the 2 below don't follow the stuff in the first one. I wasn't nearly as happy with it as I was with the second attempt.

First Attempt
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74963&highlight=prime+rib

Second Attempt
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97552&highlight=prime+rib

I also did the low temp method... Seasoned with garlic, kosher salt, black pepper. I seared the rib first. Then I set the temp around 225 on a boned rib. I put a diffuser in the grill with a shallow disposable pan to catch the drippings. Cooked until the internal hit 125 degrees and let it sit for 45 minutes... It was pink right up to the edge. The advantage of cooking low and slow is that the meat does not shrink as much, losing about 8-10% in weight... Cooking at 325 loses about 15%, a big difference.

The only problem I have now is that I am almost out of lump coal. They only have lump coal in spring in Hawaii and the stores run out after October. I bought four bags of Royal Oak after Halloween and they are almost gone. The stores ae sold out so I might have to revert to briquets which leave a big mess afterwards. There is local lump coal available made from kiawe (a local mesquite) but it sparks a lot and has a strong smoked after taste.

Back