Competition Questions

P

patd7260

I am considering signing up for my first competition, the Hudson Valley Ribfest in mid August, but just had a few questions I am hoping to get resolved before I do. These might seem simple, so I appreciate the help in advance!

- Can I do this competition with just my 22" Weber Smokey Mountain!?
- In all competitions is the meat provided? I do not see this listed anywhere, but have heard that it typically is.
- Where do I sleep? My wife and I enjoy camping and it sounded like that would be available, but I assume not on the smoking site.
- What other "must haves" besides my smoker and equipment/spices/sauce for that do I need to ensure we have fun?
- The timing sheet says that the site opens at 7:30 am on Sunday, the day everything is due to turn in. Obviously meat needs to go on before that, so I assume that I would have access as early as needed?

Thanks again for the assist!! :clap2:

I am considering signing up for my first competition, the Hudson Valley Ribfest in mid August, but just had a few questions I am hoping to get resolved before I do. These might seem simple, so I appreciate the help in advance!

- Can I do this competition with just my 22" Weber Smokey Mountain!?

with proper planning and adjustments for timing, and very small meat qtys you can. It may be a challenge to maintain consistent temps if you will be opening the lid frequently to tend to different things.

- In all competitions is the meat provided? I do not see this listed anywhere, but have heard that it typically is.

meat is not provided by the contest.. Teams must supply their own meat

- Where do I sleep? My wife and I enjoy camping and it sounded like that would be available, but I assume not on the smoking site.

HV Ribrest has an area where you can pitch a tent for the evenings. Many teams just catch a few hours sleep on a cot or in their chair if they don't have a trailer.

- What other "must haves" besides my smoker and equipment/spices/sauce for that do I need to ensure we have fun?

bring all your basics.. check the Comp FAQ section above for a supply checklist.

- The timing sheet says that the site opens at 7:30 am on Sunday, the day everything is due to turn in. Obviously meat needs to go on before that, so I assume that I would have access as early as needed?

no... maybe the 7:30 is for the public to enter the contest site..

All teams arrive on Fri afternoon or Sat morning... prep for the BBQ contest begins Sat. afternoon and cooking usually begins Sat evening for the larger cuts..There is also a grilling contest on Sat afternoon that many teams enter as well.

Thanks again for the assist!! :clap2:

See my comments in blue above.. You'll have a great time.. Tons of Brethren members will be there and can provide any help if needed.

Last edited:
it can be done for sure.
run through it a couple times, though. cooking all 4 meats for hard deadlines is much different than making pulled pork or ribs for dindin.
start putting together supplies now! theres alot of crap you need.
this depends on how you cook, but plan on having pork and brisket done and coolered by early morning to open up the cooker for ribs and chicken.
use the search feature here, beginning of summer i asked similar questions and with help and knowledge of everyone here i am lightyears ahead of where i was then.

remember that you're cooking for the judges on the judges schedule.

Everything on one 22 WSM?

Heck yeah you can! Just have to make sure your timing is down so your brisket and shoulder are off and in the hotbox to free up space for ribs and chicken. If you have a kettle set it up for indirect and do your chicken on it. The timing between the chicken and ribs is the hardest part - you don't want raw chicken going above or dripping on open ribs so placement when and where is key. Lots of timing details to work out but it has been done before!

Are you flying solo or would you have an assistant? What temps are you cooking at? We are running 3 WSM's at comps but we are also running different temps and double up the meat because one is always better than the other. Needless to say we go through a lot of charcoal!

Happy to help. PM me if you want more detailed advice.

Hi, This is from Stephanie at Hudson Valley Ribfest. Please DO come on up. We have a very friendly group of teams and they will pitch in to help you.
-We don't supply meat.
-There's free, VERY basic space for camping right next to the contest site.
-Teams start arriving from 10 a.m - dark on Friday, 7:30 to 10:30 on Saturday. You need to be on site Saturday before we open to the public.
Contact me at contest@hudsonvalleyribfest.org if I can be of further help. And for other teams out there, do join us. You'll save $25 by sending in your app before June 20. Go to www.hudsonvalleyribfest.org click on the Contest button, but do NOT click on the drop-down. Right on the Contest page are the app and coosk's info. Join us!!

Back