Pork Cushion Meat

tommykendall

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61236&highlight=pork+cushion

I was just looking over this thread because I'm cooking for a party of 75 on Friday and my buddy bought 45# of pork cushion meat from Smart & Final because he claims he couldn't find butts. They are in their final thawing stages now so I haven't opened the cyrovac to see what I'm up against although they appear to have a decent amount of fat content. Some of the comments however in the attached thread concern me a bit. Need I be? Hoping some of you guys have first-hand experience with this.

Last edited:
The piece I ended up getting was more like a butt in the end and that is how I cooked it. Sorry I can't offer more.

Much smaller and leaner than a pork butt. I would probably cut them into bonless country style ribs and smoke them. Just my 2 cents

So you're saying it came out fine for pulled pig, not noticeably discernable from a butt?

I would say that is the case in my situation. The piece of meat I got was larger than a butt but wasn't defined as a typical butt without a bone. I had never seen cusion meat before. As far as I know it may have been cushion meat or it was a boneless butt that wasnt trimmed well. I did cook just like pulled pork and it was fine.

Some of these threads sure hit the bottom of the barrel fast. Well I guess it's time to cut the cyrovac and pray that I don't have to rush out and buy butts.

I did some a few years ago here. Treated them like mini pork butts and I thought they came out well. I even frozen a couple unpulled then defrosted, reheated and pulled at a later date.

I had this happen a few years back
They just do not work right
If I were to try now I would have foiled em early

Last cushion meat i used came in a huge bag. When opened, it was small scraps of ??? Cooked for chit. Hope you have better luck.

I use cushion meat to make "Boneless Country Style Ribs" They are often on sale for less than 99 cents per pound. They are popular in this area to cook "Carnitas"

I have made "pulled pork" from cushions in a pinch----but they are a little lean for that. Good Luck Tommy

Bills idea of cushion meat.....

kim_kardashian_in_a_bikini_sweet_christ_shes_not_hiding_her_butt_for_once_main_322.0.0.0x0.450x675.jpeg
http://www.theinsider.com/manage/favorites/add?type=Photo&id=965141

According to Ask_a_Butcher's web site, cushion meat is:

The "cushion" comes from the Pork Shoulder Picnic (or Arm), The picnic shoulder is more economical than the Boston Butt, but also contains more fat than the blade shoulder. When the bone and fat is trimmed from this
cut it results in a very rich flavored roast. The meat from this cut is excellent for making juicy barbecued pulled pork. The Picnic has a large bone and joint that runs through the middle of the roast, one side has a
large lean muscle...that is the "cushion". You can also slice and pound them for pork cutlets, stew meat, etc and use them in any chicken recipe.

According to Ask_a_Butcher's web site, cushion meat is:

See, I always understood the picnic as just being the shank portion of the shoulder. Like shank vs butt hams. The picnics are always cheaper because they have more fat & bone, but it's still a shoulder, correct?

I've cooked picnics several times the same way as butts, and have never had (or made) complaints. Just never heard them called "cushion meat".

Back