Comp generator help?

Pyrolicious

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I need a 3000W generator for my new competition trailer and I know Honda is the best but it is also the most expensive. Can anyone recommend a less expensive and reliable option?

I saw a Ryobi generator this past weekend and it looked good and was very quiet, and the team who had it said that they were happy. It is a 2000W, but you can put two of them in parallel to get 4000W. Yeah, it's two units, but each one is lighter than a 3000w and you can fire up only one if you don't need to run the AC. There are also external tanks out there for the Honda 2000W generators that may work with other brands.

They are $599 at Home Depot

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-2-...1;jsessionid=935D78D4D6FBD9C7B95CFA1C5D500E4D

I have burnt up several cheap generators in my life. Now i really only like the Honda, generac, or Onan. My Onan is 15 years old and still fires right up for my toy hauler. None i listed are cheap though, just giving you something to think about.

Not to be a smart a$$ or anything, but i give you 2-3 years max with that Ryobi. I stopped buying everything Ryobi about 3 years ago after burning everything up in no time at all. Maybe the generator is a different story as i have never owned one but the Ryobi brand has not been good to me.

Whatever you buy, make sure it's under 70dB loudness or other BBQ teams may steal your generator in the night and deposit it in the dumpster. You can find 3000w contractor generators at big box stores for a few hundred dollars that will clock in at 80dB. Please just don't.

Remember dB is not a linear measurement. A 71dB generator is TWICE AS LOUD as a 70dB unit. A 3000w Honda is 58dB when running full out, and 48dB when idle. You can stand next to it and have a conversation.
My Onan RV generator is 67dB and it's pretty close to the limit of what people will accept, I think.

Last edited:
Here is the one I have as well as the smaller one. I use them for vending as well as comps and cant recommend them enough. I did have a minor issue with the small one recently after 4 years. Took it to 2 different small engine repair shops. Both said it was fried/ no compression. I called Champion talked to a guy to see if there was a close Champion repair shop(there wasnt) but I told the guy what was up. He told me what he thinks was wrong and even sent the piece to me free of charge, changed the piece out and generator fired up. So I am even a fan of their customer service.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Power-Equipment-75531i-Generator/dp/B00BBDCE1S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1462904429&sr=8-4&keywords=champion+inverter+generator"]Amazon.com : Champion Power Equipment 75531i 2800 Running Watts/3100 Starting Watts Inverter Generator : Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41tI8eyLlxL.@@AMEPARAM@@41tI8eyLlxL[/ame]

Not to be the nerd in the room, but a 1dB difference is generally not noticeable, a 3dB change is detectable, and a 10dB increase will be perceived as doubling the noise.

To understand how difficult it is to get from that 71dB unit, down to the 58dB Honda, the 13dB decrease requires reducing sound pressure by 95%.

Not to be the nerd in the room, but a 1dB difference is generally not noticeable, a 3dB change is detectable, and a 10dB increase will be perceived as doubling the noise.

To understand how difficult it is to get from that 71dB unit, down to the 58dB Honda, the 13dB decrease requires reducing sound pressure by 95%.

OWWWW My head hurts:wacko:

Yep, a total nerd.:caked::razz:

If you buy a Honda you'll have a gen that will last a very long time, and many servicing dealers can be found. Onan and Generac have a following too, though mostly with larger units (over 5KVA).

If you buy something off-brand or contractor grade it will not only be loud, but when it breaks you'll probably have to throw it away because you can't find someone to fix it. I'm not saying there is never a reason to go cheap - we've all had to cut corners on a purchase at some time in our lives. Just be prepared to buy again in the near future when the discount purchase fails.

TDuffy - To make electricity. Sorry, had to go there. You may be ok relying on comp power and I currently do, but doesn' mean I like it!

TDuffy - To make electricity. Sorry, had to go there. You may be ok relying on comp power and I currently do, but doesn' mean I like it!

The comp we did this weekend had a generator for power and when I check voltage to my trailer, we had 93 volts.:mad2:

Glad I brought a generator.

Wonder how a microwave runs at 93v? I don't want to be the one to find out.

Outside of a microwave, all I have is LED lights and a radio. My space heater could be replaced by a mr buddy easy. I'm thinking a good battery set up might be my best case senario

Back to generators

Don't cheap out. Buy a Honda

Back