Electric smoker or WSM?

ghp4aub

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but I'm struggling on which smoker to buy. I was leaning towards a Masterbuilt electric smoker, but after doing some research online I'm really liking the Weber smokey mountain.

if you don't wanna build anything and only want to buy one - go with the WSM. :mrgreen:

IMO an electric as your only smoker is not an option. I keep one for holding and small cooks that I need to run "in the background." The WSM is a really nice cooker and is very easy to use and get tuned in so that it requires little maintenance. If you do go WSM, I suggest the 22.5" over the 18.5" Any advantages to the 18.5" (not including cost) are very minimal and can be overcome. The space difference is a big advantage though.

WSM is a good choice. You can cook a lot of food on the 18.5 - $299. There are a lot of comps won on them. Look up Harry Soo. Electric BBQ misses the mark on finished product IMHO. I can go 12 hours on one fuel load and rock along pretty steady at 250F.

Jsn

How many people are you cooking for? If only a couple, you might wanna start with a smokey joe gold modded with tamale pan (mini wsm). Costs under $100 and produces competition quality cooks (Harry Soo uses the Mini WSM now in comps -- he walked in all four categories in the same competition using it recently.)

I still need a big smoker myself and I will be building a 55 gallon stainless steel UDS soon. ($150 for used Stainless Steel drum).

WSM may seem more expensive, but it is a lifetime investment. The finish on them makes it so they never rust out, except maybe the grates if not cared for. good temperature control and great capacity, the 22.5" is hard to fill unless you are cooking for a really large group.

Both. I'd order a Masterbuilt AND Build an UDS. :mrgreen: WSMs are GREAT but the 22" is $399 --not that it ain't worth it but you could order the Original style Masterbuilt AND build a UDS for $399. I have a UDS and Masterbuilt.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172102

x2 I bought a masterbuilt several years ago and while it is limited I turned it into an awesome cold smoker for summer sausage ect. I have built 2 uds and they are the bomb.

WSM. They are great. I have the 18.5", but wish I had the 22.5" so ribs and briskets would fit better.

Back