Blue Springs, Missouri BBQ Blaze-Off

Jeff_in_KC

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Gonna head out soon to go visit Wayne and the MoKan Meatheads and try to learn a thing or two (including how to build that 'rita machine!). Hope they got the MOFO MOJO goin' on! This is a pretty nice contest, the second or third oldest in the area behind the AR and Lenexa, KS. I believe I read 70 teams are cooking and pay outs are pretty decent size! Good luck, Meatheads!

Wayne sends his best! :lol: Great bunch of guys on his team... and the 'rita machine was the hit of the party. There seem to be a lot of backyard type teams there but some seriously experienced folks too. I'm heading back in the morning to observe all I can and take in as much of an education as possible. Here's hopin' the Meatheads walk the stage!

Wayne and the boys are good guys. Tell them Bigdog says hey.

Unfortunately I had to leave before turn-ins due to my daughter's first ever soccer game so I didn't see start to finish but I got a ton of great help and assistance from Wayne and the boys from the MoKan Meatheads! Thanks to them for their hospitality and advice! And a BIG TIME bonus... Lana from Squeal of Approval was there and I learned a lot about turn-in box prep and watched her set some up. The Squeal is in the finals of the OLN BBQ championship. I know the results but can't say... tune in tonight at 9pm Central for that final contest.

Anyway, hoping to hear the results of the Blue Springs Blaze Off later this afternoon. The Meatheads definitely seemed to have the MOFO MOJO goin' on today!

Well...if it would have been good news I would have posted during the weekend. The judges definately did not like our stuff at Blue Springs. Place 35th out of 77 overll. Best showing was a 14th in pork and a 23rd in ribs. Our chicken which we have been doing very well with this year came in a very disappointing 40th. The brisket pulled up the rear with a 66th place - don't know what happened there!!

Oh well on to Herman.

MoKanMeathead said:
The judges definately did not like our stuff at Blue Springs. Place 35th out of 77 overll.

Some people just don't know what good food is let alone good Q.
My mother-in-law was a very colorful person who would often say, "some people have taste for sh*t and others eat it!"

Like you said Meathead, on to Herman.

Don't worry, you will probaly walk the stage at your next comp. 1st in ribs, 1st in prok, 2nd in brisket. go get it next time.

Don't worry, you will probaly walk the stage at your next comp. 1st in ribs, 1st in prok, 2nd in brisket. go get it next time.

I sure hope not!! I will be there and would really like to win something :twisted:

Dang, guys, Sept 24 is my birthday so I may just have to tell the wife I wanna go to Herman for the weekend to hang with the Brethren! :D

Wayne, I have no idea what the judges must have been thinking either! I thought your boxes looked nice before I had to go... and I thought your brisket rocked! Which one did you end up going with? The smaller slices definitely had more smoked flavor but weren't as moist as the longer slices from the second brisket Ron cut into! And your chicken looked awesome when you sauced it and put it in the smoker. I tried the same process yesterday (you might have seen my results... got the skin too dark after it being perfect until the last ten minutes on the kettle) and I liked it. I accidently grabbed the bag of apple chips rather than cherry chips and didn't realize it until I already had then on the coals. I liked the flavor a lot but I'm gonna do them with cherry tonight if I have time to see the difference.

Anyway, you guys gave it a hell of an effort, that's for sure! See ya soon!

Back