Apparently, The South Doesn't Know Jack About BBQ/Brethren Insult

Sledneck

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Call me crazy but in the article below the writer seems to be insulting a certain Massachusetts team that did real well at the Jack. Hmmmmmmmm I don't think any of us will be responding to this article:wink:

Here is the original
, it has a comments section and I am sure we can find some more direct contact for the writer just in case we want to share some thoughts with him.:evil:

Home » blogs » Collins Parker's blog
Apparently, The South Doesn't Know Jack About BBQ

Submitted by Collins Parker on October 27, 2008 - 1:25pm

Barbeque is a southern birthright.
It's hard to reach adulthood down here without taking sides in the great barbeque debate.
Do you prefer your Cue Carolina style (vinegar and slaw), Memphis style (pour on that sauce!) or Texas style (no sauce, just great grilling & smoking).
The folks up the road at Jack Daniels have been cashing in on Barbecue mania for the last 20 years with their annual competition.
Cooks from all over the world descend on Lynchburg to claim the prize.

But this weekend's results are a blow to southern pride.
Only one of the top 10 overall finishers come from below the Mason Dixon line (Virginia).
It's not like we didn't have competitors.
They came from Tennessee (2), Georgia (3), Virginia, North Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas & Louisiana.
But when it came to the best of the best in Lynchburg, a steakhouse in Kansas claimed the top prize.

Overall
1.4 Legs Up BBQ – Great Bend, Kan.
2.4 Mile Smokin’ Crew – Pleasant Hill, Iowa
3.Cool Smoke – Richmond, Va.
4.Butcher BBQ – Chandler, Okla.
5.lunchmeat – Rockland, Mass.
6.Smokers Wild – Paola, Kan.
7.Parrothead Smokers – Dakota Dunes, S.D.
8.Dizzy Pig – Fairfax, Va.
9.Bubba & Jeff’s BBQ – Lees Summit, Mo.
10. Carcass Cookers –Pueblo, Colo.

Here's the best our regional entrants could do.
Bub-Ba-Q from Jasper, GA placed 3rd in pork ribs.
Ubon's BBQ in Yazoo, MS placed 2nd in pork shoulders.
Jack's Old South in Vienna, GA placed 4th in beef brisket.
Smoky Mountain Smokers from Sevierville, TN placed 8th in brisket (and 18th overall).
EJ's Q from Athens, AL had the 2nd best sauce.
And the Dead End BBQ Society from Knoxville, TN placed 9th in the dessert category.

I guess there is no shame in losing to teams from Kansas. Afterall, Kansas City is the fourth great school of Cue. But our southern competitors finished below teams from Iowa, Colorado, South Dakota and (gasp) Massachusetts!
Folks, this is a call to arms.
Obviously, state budget cuts to our higher education system are affecting the culinary arts!
Wine & Cheese have crept into our most sacred football tailgating traditions!
And Sushi is replacing the traditional Pork Plate.
What's next?
Would you buy your next pickup in France? Order a gun from Greenpeace? Or turn in your SEC team colors for a soccer team?
Well, that makes as much sense as getting your barbeque from Massachusetts.

Ooooohh, now I'm mad...now I'm REAL mad!

That guy's just jealous.

Go Lunchmeat!!

Being from the South, I can't help but laugh! But I'd hate to be this guy! GO GET HIM! (haha)

If the guy knew anything about comps, he would have known to just blame the judges. :cool:

Tell this piece of chit, that the wood and pork in mass, is the same as in the south. Maybe the taste buds are just a little better in the north. Thanks for inviting the north, I am sure it gave them an education from partying to food.

well, i've sent in a response and i can't find where the responses go... Man, he's such a dumba$$..!!!! he ought to just go to Mass. and get the best BBQ he'll ever eat.

i also had to add in another comment about there's a McRib advertisement above his article, which he claims to be an expert on where BBQ should come from.

Hands down that brisket from Mass is better than anything this tool ever ate. Go lunchmeat! Just wait for next year, North East is coming up!

Guys, don't you think the article is a little tongue in cheek? Also, he is not disparaging the "Non Southern" teams, he is disparaging the poor showing of the good ole boys. Cut the guy some slack.

well, i've sent in a response and i can't find where the responses go... Man, he's such a dumba$$..!!!! he ought to just go to Mass. and get the best BBQ he'll ever eat.

i also had to add in another comment about there's a McRib advertisement above his article, which he claims to be an expert on where BBQ should come from.
I bet they are screened before they are put up. Here a re a few places that comments could be sent http://www.wdef.com/node/7

Guys, don't you think the article is a little tongue in cheek? Also, he is not disparaging the "Non Southern" teams, he is disparaging the poor showing of the good ole boys. Cut the guy some slack.

well, I looked at this article light-heartedly until i saw this:

"Would you buy your next pickup in France? Order a gun from Greenpeace? Or turn in your SEC team colors for a soccer team?
Well, that makes as much sense as getting your barbeque from Massachusetts"

well, I looked at this article light-heartedly until i saw this:

"Would you buy your next pickup in France? Order a gun from Greenpeace? Or turn in your SEC team colors for a soccer team?
Well, that makes as much sense as getting your barbeque from Massachusetts"

Agreed. Fark this guy.

If he's going to disparage Northern BBQ, then he needs to also disparage BBQ made by white people. I love this dialog from Barbership 2...

Terri: If Tony Roma can make ribs better than Black people, Isaac can own a Black barbershop...
Calvin: Wait a minute...”ribs better than Black people?"
Jimmy: Tony Roma boils his ribs! That is *not* authentic!
Dinka: Tony Roma is delicious! I don't see White or Black... I just see red sauce on everyt'ing!

I was born in Florida.....

moved to Tennessee, lived in Georgia , now I am in New Hampshire (and love it).
I'm not sure where I fall on this one.
Fightin words over politics, sure. Fightin over football teams, a little out of hand but I get it.
Fightin words over Q-insane.

(Psst, hey Southern boys. Get yer fannies out in the backyard and get to practicin! You don't even have to snowshovel your way to the smoker.)

Hey guys, if it makes you feel any better, these guys still put so much sugar in their cornbread it tastes like dessert!

Back