What is your first comp for "08

Merl

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
How soon will it be before you compete in "08. Are you going to cook on ice or wait for spring. Carol and I begin in Rio Ranch at the end of March.

Which and when will be your first competition which you attend?

Merl I'm going to Great Bend, KS. As long as the weather hold out. Mid February.

How soon will it be before you compete in "08. Are you going to cook on ice or wait for spring. Carol and I begin in Rio Ranch at the end of March.

Which and when will be your first competition which you attend?

Probably Rio Rancho! May be we will see ya there. (As an aside, this is a great comp, and Merl and Carol seem to do great in conjunction with the city event organizers.)

Although, we were hoping the city would push it back a few weeks. We seriously nearly froze last year. Us out door roughin' it types don't do well in 26* and windy.

Feb 1 & 2 - Polar Swine III

Hey Todd, you got more info a Polar Swine sounds like a good time

Wow, since Warsaw, MO moved to mid-May, it looks as if we won't get started until May 2 at St. Joseph, MO or May 9 at Platte City, MO.

Wow, since Warsaw, MO moved to mid-May, it looks as if we won't get started until May 2 at St. Joseph, MO or May 9 at Platte City, MO.

When can we enter for Pleasant Hill? That will be our first KCBS comp.

April 18 Salisbury,MD.

Same for me. Looking forward to it. The site has the forms and I received them last week via email. I guess it's time to start filling those things out ( and coming up with the entry fees).

How many days til April 18th :?: :lol:

Wishland, Orange County April 19th

Anyone familiar with KC area comps willing to help a newbie pick out the some good ones to get my comp feet wet at? I was thinking about doing one each month. Just not sure yet which ones I will pick. Any from this list that you think are extra special, or any I should consider avoiding? I left out the GAB, Lenexa and AR because I already know they are top notch, and I will attend at least one of these big three. For the rest I was kinda looking for something not so big.

4/4/2008 Smokin on Big Creek Pleasant Hill MO
4/25/2008 Barry Road Hy-Vee BBQ N. Kansas City, MO
4/25/2008 Smokin in the Creek Sugar Creek MO
5/2/2008 Belton Heritage BBQ Contest Belton MO
5/2/2008 Brew Blues & BBQ Lansing KS
5/9/2008 Sertoma 48 BBQ Lawrence KS
5/9/2008 Platte City/Basswood Resort BBQ Platte City MO
6/6/2008 McLouth BBQ McLouth KS
6/13/2008 Raytown State BBQ Championship Raytown MO
6/13/2008 Tonganoxie Days BBQ Tonganoxie KS
8/15/2008 BBQ & Fly-In On The River Excelsior Springs MO
9/19/2008 Jesse James BBQ Cookout Kearney MO
9/19/2008 Pleasant Valley Fall Festival Pleasant Valley MO
9/19/2008 Battle of the Brisket Mission KS
9/26/2008 Shawnee Great Grillers Shawnee KS
10/10/2008 Cooking on the Kaw Desoto KS

Sorry if this is a stupid question to ask, but it would be nice to know what I am getting into instead of just blindly picking basically.

Holtville Rib Cookoff Jan 26th, This event is more of a fund raiser that a comp. $1000 for first 5-$800 for second and 2-$300 for third place. Sorry did not pay any attention after the event cord. said $1000 for first.

Back