A Pig on the Cinderblock Pit (graphic)

Thanks everybody! It's a bit of work but worth the effort and I don't mind doing it.

Now that's a party! Awesome as always Jeanie - cooking a pig like this is very high on my list of things to do. :thumb:

Get well soon!
Thanks Greg, hope you have a safe trip! :grin:

Every time. Wow. Just looks awesome!! And to supply from your own pen. Very cool.

Thank you KP, I like to make sure my pigs (and beef) have happy lives.

Thanks for the detailed post. Looked awesome. Love the references to skinning deer. Looks exactly the same. Bambi on the pit next? Maybe wrapped in onions and bacon for fat?

Thanks Twelvegauge! I clean deer the same way. :grin: I've cooked venison on the block pit but usually whole shoulders or hams. I keep the backstrap for myself. :becky:

What does it take to get an invite to one of your parties? :becky: :clap2: Mighty Fine!

Hope you are well.

Thanks Toast, feeling stronger every day. I need to have a Brethren Bash here. That would be interesting. :laugh::laugh: :thumb:

Jeanie, you renew my faith in human nature. This is the epitome of real life on the plains. Thank you for the memories!

Jed

Jed you're very kind... thanks! :thumb: Just plain ole country cooking, nothing fancy.

Thanks again everyone!

By the way, I've never skinned a little pig but it surprises me that it is quicker to skin than scald.

Marty it's a lot quicker for me to skin one. It takes awhile to gather the equipment to scald one then heat the water, dip and scrape. Skinning just works out well for me.
I DO sometimes lay the pig on a table, ladle hot water over a cloth on the pig, remove the cloth and scrape...then repeat in another area.. It's time consuming but works well when I am working alone.

Thanks again!!

Looks great! A pig/hog in a block pit is on my bucket list for sure.

Bash at Jeanie's, pass it on. :heh:

Awesome - Thanks for the Q-View

I just shot a 700 lb boar and will be getting many chances to smoke and grill pork in the near future

I was involbed in a whole pig rotisare several years ago and look foreward to whole pig again

Thanks for sharing - you did an awesome job!

Cornhusker thanks! An Oklahoma Bash would be fun. :becky:

Thank you Smoke Dawg! Congrats on the huge hog! That's something I'd like to try one day. I love hunting.

Mark thanks so much!

Another great reason to visit Oklahoma. Along with your last post, and the one before that, and the one before that, and the one before that.......

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I, too, noticed the skinning. It's easier, but then you don't get the crisp skin!! Nice job and thanks for sharing the entire process. We often forget that meat isn't grown in cryovac!!

Nice!!! Another epic Cowgirl thread. Well done Ma'am.
I would have thought it would take more than 9 hour to cook one though.

And....I apparently missed the injury chat. What happened?

Back