• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

For other brethren like me who have mediocre knife skills...

The store clerk at WS showed me how to use it. You don't want to pound it like a caveman, but give it three to five hits with your fist. Play with it. You will figure it out in minutes.

CD
Sounds like WP material to me.:oops:

My mom gave me a WS chopper for Christmas a couple of years ago. She loved hers so much she got two. I didn't use it for awhile, but when I started I didn't stop. I love it now. It is great for making soup, chili, salsa, or anything that you are trying to get equal size cuts from different veggies. Easy to clean and use.

I highly recommend.

Marty, I am shocked, you are the last person I would ever have imagined would use a Kevlar glove in the kitchen.

That's ... that's .....

Cheating! No fair! :tongue:

J/K

It takes a brave man to admit their skills lack in any area so props to you for that. :hail:

I'm reminded of the scene from "Julie and Julia" where Julia Child had a pile of onions about 2 feet high from practicing chopping them. My sister's a pro (CIA grad) and I know that's one of the skills she had to learn. And yet I'd be very surprised if anyone doing it for a living used anything but an industrial strength version of what you find so useful.

I have seen them at the kitchen store outlet malls. These are available at bed bath and beyond also. They are available in several sizes.
jon

Hank, your conjecture about the use of choppers would be spot on for many mud-level restaurants. The large chains use pre-chopped and bagged aromatics. Most fine dining kitchens and Chinese/Asian kitchens break down whole vegetables. Knife skills is how every new chef is evaluated. I can break down and chop and onion to a fine dice in less than 2 minutes, and I am slow now. A trained chef will be faster with a knife than one of these units.

My wife got me a Bron Mandoline few years ago. Works great, looks cool. Still prefer using a knife though. Sharp knives and fire baby, that's how I roll.

4182W3HM2WL._SX450_.jpg

That looks like a very useful tool, but for me
the chopping of the veggies by hand with a
knife is fun and very therapeutic....
as with any learned skill set, practice and patience is key....

Yeah I actually enjoy playing with the chef's knife and cutting board too. As with most things, the more I do it the better and more efficient I get.

Still.....cool tool CD. Thanks for sharing.

I have both of them. I use the Pampered chef for garlic only. The other one, I never remember I have it, and use a knife instead. It is great for onions.

Thanks for posting this, CD. Gotta into making gumbo this winter & this would help save time & fingertips.

I commend you for outing yourself like that CD. :razz: I'll admit it does look like a neat gadget, but that would take some of the fun out of cooking I think, for me at least. I love playing dodge the finger.

Speaking of dodge the finger, I tried to play it drunk the other day and lost. I had a buddy come over to smoke a turkey on the day I made that turkey pastrami. I was dicing up the pickles for the thousand island and cut pretty much the tip of my finger off. So I throw the pickles the knife and the board in the sink. Grab a new board, new pickles and a new knife, hand it to my buddy and tell him to dice the pickles. I go upstairs to secure a band aid, not 20 seconds later I hear 3 people yell "hey Jason, grab another band aid while your up there." It made me feel better knowing I wasn't the only one bleeding that day. Heck the sandwiches were good no matter what ended up in there. :shocked: :-D

My mom gave me some old Slap Chop she had laying around. I actually have very good knife skills, somehow. Youtube helped a lot, but I've always been good with a blade. Putting an edge on them has been a learning experience, but when it HAS an edge... oh buddy, watch out.

I might pull out that Slap Chop thing and see if it's worth keeping.

For everyone lopping finger tips off, google claw grip. Your tips will thank you, your knuckles might get angry for the first spell of the learning curve.

I too have a slap chop. I do have a decent amount of knife skill, but sometimes I am flat out lazy and bust out the slap chop. Only drawbacks are the pieces are not quite uniform, and don't try slapping a piece of onion or potato that takes up all the chopping space in the chopper. If you overload it the blade will stick somewhere along the way.

That WS chopper the OP has looks cool and all... But COME ON! Vince didn't promote it! Everybody loves Vince...

My mom gave me some old Slap Chop she had laying around. I actually have very good knife skills, somehow. Youtube helped a lot, but I've always been good with a blade. Putting an edge on them has been a learning experience, but when it HAS an edge... oh buddy, watch out.

I might pull out that Slap Chop thing and see if it's worth keeping.

For everyone lopping finger tips off, google claw grip. Your tips will thank you, your knuckles might get angry for the first spell of the learning curve.

Yeah, I like to think I'm getting pretty good at the claw grip...that is until I get to that little bit at the end. I just don't know when to say when. According to my wife that's a problem I've been having for years though. :tsk:

CD,

Interesting gadget and glad it works for you.

I keep working on my knife skills and sometimes I get better, sometimes I scare myself. :oops:

TIM

Casey just keep practicing and you'll eventually get there. That gadget is nice and all, but the blades do become dull. At least with a knife, you can re-sharpen with a nice stone. Just my 2 cents.