• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Anything Strawberry?

cpw

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I've got a contest coming up in a couple months and one of the ancillary contests is "anything strawberry."

Having never done a "dessert" competition, and doing a little research on this site, it seems that cheesecake is pretty much the way to go. Does this sound about right, or should I come up with something else?

any suggestions, thoughts, etc are welcomed!

-Chad

i've never done dessert, but yeah, from all i've read here cheesecake is THE way to go.

don't know what it takes to make competition cheesecake but if it's anything like comp chicken, you can count me OUT.:becky:

i've never done dessert, but yeah, from all i've read here cheesecake is THE way to go.

don't know what it takes to make competition cheesecake but if it's anything like comp chicken, you can count me OUT.:becky:

I think I'm going to be enlisting the help of my professional pastry chef neighbor on this one. I can't bake to save my life.

My girlfriend does our deserts and has done pretty well. Cheesecake definitely seems to win more times than not when we hear what the winners cook. I would say the exception to this would be where the desert category isn't just "desert" and it can be any kind of flavor. The desert competitions where the desert is "ingredient specific" such as peach, apple, strawberry etc is where maybe a more traditional desert wins as opposed to just making whatever cheesecake you want. So if apple is the category then apple pie or apple cobbler might have a better chance of winning.

So strawberry could be strawberry shortcake (mentioned above), strawberry tort, strawberry ice cream, stawberry cake, etc. But now that I think about it strawberry cheesecake does sound good :becky:.

Strawberry cheesecake ice cream. Serve it on a short bread cookie with a melted/smooshed hazelnut truffle. Frangelico whipped cream on top. Garnished with a sprig of mint and some chocolate curls/shavings.

After thinking about that Q-Dat, making some bacon candy, with sliced strawberries added at the end as a topping and a sugar glaze might just actually be REAL good...

On Edit: perhaps a few shaves of dark chocolate at the end could be a good thing too.

whole strawberry dipped in chocolate and rolled in pig candy bacon bits. :becky:

My experience as a judge( 26 contest as a judge )is, after judging all 4 catagories of meat, the judfes like something sweet and creamy. Chill and Hawg Father above both have good sounding ideas. My wife and I both like something along the ice cream line. But that's just 2 judges. Good luke.

We will also be in this contest and I was researching strawberry recipe ideas this week too. I think I have a winner:-D.

Back