• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Seeking Advice: Cooler to Cambro

BasicPatrick

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
We are cooking our second contest this coming weekend and I recently purchased a used old style Cambro 400.

I am going to use it as opposed to the foil, towel, cooler.

Any advice on Cambro use is appreciated.

Not much advice is really necessary. You open it, put the hot food inside, close and latch the door.

A good 400 Series will keep food piping hot for hours. Nice acquisition!

Maybe pick up a few full steel food pans to give support. The foil pans sometimes wilt under the weight.

I've got the cambro 400 and it holds the heat very nicely. After pulling the briskets from the cooker I open up the foil and let the briskets rest on the couner about 15 minutes before putting in the cambro. This seems to help slow down the cooking process and prevent the brisket from drying out.

I agree on the S/S pans...I bought a pack of 2 at Sams for $20, great buy, I take brisket off smoker, let sit out for 30-40 minutes, sit in cambro....works great...:becky:

Great find used....there aint many like that..:clap2:

I scored it for $75 from a local deli owner and made a promise to drop off few meals worth of BBQ after a comp some time. It is beat up a bit, has a couple minor cracks on the door hinges and is missing a hinge pin that looks replaceable. It has a new looking gasket, closes tight and appeared to work well during a test cook last week.

I am mostly looking for genera advice on whether I should still leave any que in foil as I did when resting in cooler? What kind and sizeof pans to comp guys really use?

Obviously the towel wrap is not longer needed...or is it? Is it ok to leave a few different meats all steaming hot in Cambro without cross flavor issues?

General direction not recipes, I have too many of them already.....lol

Just a hint: Instead of spending $$$ on SS hotel pans just use half-sized sheet pans. Slide them in the Cambro upside down and put you foil pans on top of them.

Like Dave says above on the hotel pans, we actually wrap our butts and briskets in a disposable half/full pan and wrap the top with foil and then put in the cambro after letting it "air" out for about 15 minutes as stated above. Yes you would need to keep it in foil if you are foiling them. You do not need the towels any longer. The cambro will hold you food HOT for a good long time!!

One bit of advice on Cambros... DO NOT, after you buy a 1960 Globe Meat Slicer, place the 80 pound Item on the Cambro and stick both into a storage facility or Van that gets really hot during long summers.

$%28KGrHqMOKnIE1SlRlRT6BN,98ky96w%7E%7E_3.JPG

Back