Belly Brothers New Smoker

OK all, DON"T PANIC! That is NOT white smoke coming from the stacks! Remember in an earlier post I stated that there was a learning curve? Well, it seems that this smoker requires that the fire be built on each
side of the water pan instead of directly underneath it and the water pan needs to be full to within 1 inch of the top, about 10 gallons. This was our initial cook where we had about 2.5 gallons of water in the water pan
and the fire directly under it. That white smoke is actually STEAM! That 2.5 gallons of water was gone in 4 hours! LOL Now you understand the no sleep that night trying to figure out what was going on and the phone call
to Phil to confirm our thoughts. After making the adjustments to putting the fire on both sides and filling the water pan, you could almost dial in the temps like using a thermostat on an oven. True and perfect!
If you look at the area underneath the brisket in the first picture, that whole area is water pan. It's configuration is similar to this : \____/
If you look at the difference between the 2nd pic and the 3rd pic, the 2nd pic is Friday night, the 3rd pic is Sat. morning. Lots of steam in the 2nd pic coming out of the stacks, sweet blue coming out of the stacks in the 3rd pic.

Great pics BBII, I wish we were cooking today!! Thanks for sharing!

BB2, what size are those grates and how tall is the actual cooking area? Great lookin' rig and eats, thanks for the pix.

Nice rig. Very nice rig.

But - those Belly Brothers in the last picture look a little, uh, feminine....... :shock:

:)

Nice looking pit. Is that logo painted or stickered? What kind of temps do you get on the outside there.

The logo is actually a magnet, goes on comes off mod. The three outer walls are double insulated and are cool to the touch.
the smoke chamber and fire box doors are single thickness and get very warm. We did the probe thru the potato to see how
the shelf temps would run and to know how much the thermometer in the door was off. Door thermo was off about 15*.
Top shelf cooked about 12* higher than the bottom shelf, best I can remember, when we had butts and brisket in. The next day,
with ribs and chicken in the smoker, shelf temp. was a lot closer top to bottom. don't know if it was the difference in the mass
of the meats or if the smoker just got seasoned and broke in better. We were getting some heat escaping at the bottom of the
door Friday nite and Sat. morning as the door seal was still trying to seat. That might have been the difference.

[BB2, what size are those grates and how tall is the actual cooking area?]
The Grates are 2' x 3' roughly guessing. there are 4 grates and they are about 8" apart.

I have said it once before and I shall say it again. That is one helluva of a cooker man! I like the addition of the girly mod as well. At what temp are they done. =) j/k

Back