logo

Operator Error - Tip

tommykendall

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Bretheren -

On Saturday I smoked 3 racks of BB's, 2 chickens and sausage. It was a cool windy day in MD. For 3 farking hours, I fought with fire and smoke control, something I haven't had any problems with in a very long time. The pit temp would barely hit 200, on very brief occasion it hit 220. The wood (oak, hickory, and cherry) wouldn't burn correctly even though I knew the wood was fine. Bad smoke to good smoke to bad smoke again, for 3 hours or so. Open the cook chamber door, close it, open the damper door, close it, crack the fire box, uncrack it, turn the wood, add wood, you farking name it. What the hell was wrong?

After several brews to help soothe the frustration, I was ready to give the Bandera the 10# sledge hammer mod and find another cooker. I said to myself - this cannot be, something is really really wrong here. So I opened the cook chamber door one last time, peering top to bottom. "Son of a farking beeatch" I said to myself. Case solved! You know the grease catch pan that lays in the bottom of the chamber under the water pan? Like always I had lined the bottom with heavy duty foil. There on the right side, the foil stood up 3 inches straight at a 90 degree angle, competely blocking off the baffle opening from the fire box. I poked the foil down and the temp rose to over 275 in seconds.

A simple yet frustrating lesson in operator error. Food photos attached.

The problem is often something simple isn't it?

Nice Q Tk. " I want my baby-back, baby-back, baby-back ribs> 8)

Nothing like a good dumbass attack to keep ya humble! :mrgreen:

Hey, TK. That's okay. I know a guy who was in a hurry to start Q'ing, so he thought he'd try the
propane assisted charcoal chimney mod.

He was in such a hurry he neglected to leak check the propane setup.

About 10 minutes later, when he checked on his charcoal, the regulator had a nice set of orange
flames dancing around.

What a dumb bass!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ringo

Ringo, now that is real funny, woke up the dogs LOL :!: :lol: :lol: :lol:

willkat98 said:
racer_81 said:
What a dumb bass!

Didnt see any stupid fish in the pics?

Changed the wording to "dumb bass" 'cause I figure the nazi big brother anti cursing program would modify "dumb ass".

All this time I thought I was the only one who did this type of thing.

I actually had almost the opposite problem to this one...on my T-Day smoking session....the bottom of my smoke chamber experienced a grease fire....

I saw it going early enough thankfully...got some flour, and threw it on the flames and it killed them...charred the turkey skin a bit on the bottom rack, but, no serious damage...

Guess I'm going to have to break down and clean that 'Dera some day....
:)

At the very least...gonna have to start putting a drip pan and/or foil down there to keep the grease level down...

Cayenne

Back