trash bag marinating question

kotaman77571

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I was always told not to use trash bags to marinate food in cause there are chemicals that could contaminate the food. I have read a lot of posts here that some use a trash bag to marinate your meats since it may be more than zip lock bags can hold. What bag do you use that is safe to do this if it is safe? Just wondering so I cna not buy as many zip lock bags and more trash bags.

Thanks,
James

IF I was going to use a trash bag, it would be the clear variety. Seems that wouldn't be as harmful as a black or white trash bag. To be safe, I would use an oven bag, the large ones.

Check the bag. You don't want one that has chemicals that make the bag smell good. Does it have a oder somethinorother in it? Don't use it.

Honestly, I am not sure I would even try it. I have heard that there are some food grade garbage bags out there. I have used the ziplock bags and have also used the oven bags for turkey. There is a whole section on the virtual Weber bullet website. You might want to check that site out.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I just use large tupperware type containers. I think the ones I use are made to store dishes and thing in. They're big enough to put quite a bit of meat in and still fit in the fridge.

I took survival training years ago and big black trash bags were as important as duct tape for doing stuff like gathering water. Now they put stuff on the bags so you don't get maggots. And the last survival camp I went to told you not to use them anymore.

The meat distributor/butcher I sometimes get stuff from has heavy butcher bags that would be great for what you want to do.

Chris

After using all kinds of vessels (food grade buckets from the bakery, Cambro containers, 5 gallon drink cooler, ice chests lined with garbage bags etc. etc,) to brine Turkeys for the Holidays, I found something that is actually designed for brining, keeps the meats submerged in the liquid, fits easily in my refrigerator, and will hold a couple Turkeys or 6 five pound Chickens, ribs or Butts.

http://www.thebriner.com/

I am very happy with it and it work great for me.

Use food grade bags. You never know what chemicals might go into a non-food grade bag. At least with a food grade bag, they are paying attention to what materials are in the product and manufacturing process.

In a pinch, I've used one of the veggie drawers in the frig. Usually I use a Rubbermaid container.

They make oven bags that are big enough in which to do a turkey. Should be able to handle any cut of meat you might want to marinate.

Back to the bag issue, I use the steam table full and half size Pansaver bags (250* max) from Ecolab when I'm cooking comps. I do my injecting/marinating in them, just be careful with that needle! Cash& Carry has 2 gallon ziplock bags as well, but the seals aren't the best.

Back