22.5 WSM on the way. Did I go too big?

"Had an 18" for a year and sold it to upgrade to the 22", you will appreciate it for Whole Packer Briskets (as you said) and the ability to lay out full slabs of ribs without using a rib rack."

Sounds like my experience to a tee. I do wish that I had kept the 18 for smaller cooks, but with six cookers, I was catching some flak about needing two WSMs from the spousal unit. The 22.5 is much more versatile, with room for multiple packers and/or racks of ribs, not to mention a half dozen chickens should the need arise.

Last edited:
Love my 22" WSM

I bought my 22" WSM last Nov. and I have no regrets. It's uses a good amount of charcoal but... it's a smoker. I do have to mention that if you plan to use the minion method you might run into some trouble. For whatever reason my 22" gets too hot when I use that method. I switched to the snake method described on amazingribs.com and have had good results ever since.

Ok I'm sold on it, I think I'll just get an 18 wsm ring and us it for shorter cooks since I'm not handy with a torch and can make my own =).

Done and Done. Thanks all. PrOn incoming as soon as it arrives.

I was debating the same thing about a month ago. I typically only cook for two to three people, but like to have enough food for leftovers for a few days. I ended up going with the 22.5 after I saw I wouldn't be able to comfortably put a packer on the 18.5. I have yet to smoke a brisket, but have done spare ribs, chicken, and pork butts. I'm definitely glad I went with the 22.5 over the 18.5 as I have used much of the cooking space already! I'm pretty sure had I gone with the 18.5 I would have regretted it in the long run. Buy once cry once!

The 22.5" is perfect. Don't sweat it man. I sold my WSM early this year but just saw one on CL this week and had to pick it up. :-D

Back