Chili for tonights PTA Chili Supper

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Thought I'd share with y'all, cause it's starting out pretty well. It's a work in progress, will be finishing up as the day progresses.

I don't really have a recipe for chili, it's always new. Here's todays:

chopped Leftover sliced Kobe brisket, about 1/2 flat (call me crazy, but this stuff is GOOD in ANYTHING)
1/2 link smoked Kielbasa (skin peeled and finely chopped)
1/4 cup finely chopped smoked beef stick
4 cups Beef Broth
2 cups Water
1/2 cup or so Chili Powder (so far)

The beef stick is just some of that Hickory Farms stuff I tend to get around Christmas time. Anymore I just peel that casing off and toss it on the smoker at aboutg 250 for a couple hours then use it for an extra taste in beans and whatnot.

It's in the crock now warming up. Will be adding more as the day goes by. I'm going to be adding beans (yeah, I said it) because that Kobe is kinda expensive, so filler seemed quite appropriate. Also be adding some tomato in some form or other, so all you purists best just look away. And yes, I love plain old Texas Red, so no preaching please.

Oh, the Chili Powder I made is a homemade version that i made this morning. Guess I better post that recipe too...

Blop of Hungarian Sweet Paprika
Sprinkle of Kashmir Chile Powder
Blop of Crushed Ancho Chiles
2 Sprinkles of Jalapeno Chile Powder
Smidge of Garlic Powder
1 1/2 Smidges of Cumin
Smidge and a Sprinkle of Onion Powder
2 Sprinkles Black Pepper
Blop of Crushed Red Medium New Mexico Chiles
Blop of Red Mild New Mexico Chile Powder
Smidge of Crushed Green Medium New Mexico Chiles
2 Sprinkles Oregano
Sprinkle of Chipotle Chile Powder
Sprinkle of Crushed Red Pepper

In case you don't have proper measuring equipment, a Smidge is about 3 Sprinkles, and a Blop is roughly 4 Smidges give or take 2 Sprinkles.

I'll keep all you farkers posted.

I'm glad you explained the difference between a blop and a smidge. I was gonna ask about that. :wink:

If you are open to options for the tomato consider using whole canned tomatoes, and some onion. Puree in the blender and add to the pot. If the onion flavor is a little strong after simmering a bit a little tomato paste will cut that.

I added about another Tbsp of Chili Powder after 2 hours. Another 2 hours later I blended up a 15 oz can of whole peeled tomatos (thanks Jorge!) with a splash of Sriracha and a quarter of an onion and added that to the pot, along with a 30 oz can of Chili Beans to fill up the crock pot. I added another Tbsp of Chili Powder and stirred it all together. Coming along real well, loving the flavor so far!:razz:

A little Adobo from a Chipotle can isn't bad now and then, but it looks like your pot is coming along just fine!

to tighten it up at the end, throw a can or two of ranch style beans in the food processor and dump in the chili. This is a shortcut that some unscrupulous competitors use in competitions, or at least, so i am told. I have tried it and it is good.

chingador said:
to tighten it up at the end, throw a can or two of ranch style beans in the food processor and dump in the chili. This is a shortcut that some unscrupulous competitors use in competitions, or at least, so i am told. I have tried it and it is good.

They wouldn't qualify as a floater at that point, that's for sure. Might change the flavor profile a bit, if someone wasn't planning on it though.

Back