Time for a new UDS project

Eggtastico

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Its that time of year in the UK when the sun is out.
All the rain in the last year has not been kind to the UDS I built last year.

This new one I am going to do right.

Going to do things a little different this year.
My plan is to actually make the thing upside.
As it is an open drum with drum lid & steel belt I plan on having the open lid at the bottom & cut out a hole at the top.

This should allow me to simply lift the whole barrel off the basket that will be attached to the drum lid. Think that will work?

New used drum purchased £28 & is currently in the shop getting sandblasted at powder coated for £80

I have purchased & built (pending testing) a Heater Meter Approx £60
and some solder equipment £20

Seeing the lid is tailor made for the drum I'd keep it on the top unless you're planning on doing a kettle type of lid.

You gotta try to keep those things out of the rain with something...over hangs, enclosures, umbrellas or something. Use a cover when you're not using it or keep it inside.

UDS don't need refueled or anything usually so i don't see the benefit of pulling the drum to access the basket.

I already have a kettle lid from my last build.
I had to pick people up & left my missus in charge, the drum got to hot & the paint flaked - so now its rusted!

The idea of being able to lift it off the basket & base is for easy cleaning. I kinda get drunk at my parties & put the cleaning off until tomorrow.. that turns into next week, then the next.. then the next & it ends up a pain to clean :D

This is my other UDS from last year
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166461

Good idea on the sandblast and powder coat. I put a high heat powder on mine and love it!

good to know i am not being dumb. it make so much more sense to me.
Maybe the future is to incorporate the cooking shelves & basket all as one, then use the drum as a sleeve over top... thats for another day!

Your idea is good and it will work. WSM's basically does the same thing.

Finally had the call back from the shop, my drum is ready for collection for tomorrow morning.
I am now going to make this my to do list/blog to keep it all in one place - and to make sure I dont forget anything.
, as well as some brainstorming

Some parts will be used from my old drum smoker - with the eventual plan to get them replaced.

Apart from the initial my to do mods....

heatermeter PID - I built this & tested it so I know it works. Just need to hook it up to a vent hole to test & to see if I need a 2nd vent hole.

Side Tables - One of the biggest things needed so you got places to put things when needed.

Adjustable Racks system - probably use shelf bracket or twin slot.

Small shelf or basket - need something to hold the PID electronics, as well as things to hand like cloths, etc.

heatermeter PID - I built this & tested it so I know it works. Just need to hook it up to a vent hole to test & to see if I need a 2nd vent hole.

You'll like the Hm, it works great on the UDS. I had a 1/2 hole and it did pretty good for most smokes, low and slow but higher cooks had to open other vent holes to get up to temp. I just recently added a servo damper to mine and opened the vent to 3/4, I'm still in the tuning stage for that though.

Anyways HM better then what you can buy pre-made.

You'll like the Hm, it works great on the UDS. I had a 1/2 hole and it did pretty good for most smokes, low and slow but higher cooks had to open other vent holes to get up to temp. I just recently added a servo damper to mine and opened the vent to 3/4, I'm still in the tuning stage for that though.

Anyways HM better then what you can buy pre-made.

THanks for the input. I dont want to put holes in if I dont need them.
I still not figured out the best way to to attach the fan either.

I love the simplicity (of use) of it as well.

The upside drum is a good idea! I have seen a few that way on here before. But I also like the to use the original drum lid as i smoke so I left mine right side up so i could use the flat or kettle lid depending on what I'm cooking...

You will love your HM. I built one, and in the processes of building the second. I however dont use the blower part. I love being by the UDS tending the airflow (not really any need though cause its almost set it and forget it) I mainly built my HM to have the option of having text messages or emails sent when alarms go off when i cant be close to the cooker all the time.

You will love your HM. I built one, and in the processes of building the second. I however dont use the blower part. I love being by the UDS tending the airflow (not really any need though cause its almost set it and forget it) I mainly built my HM to have the option of having text messages or emails sent when alarms go off when i cant be close to the cooker all the time.

How in the world is this done? Is there a thread on this here?

Here is a picture of my blower on 3d printed servo damper that Ralph prints up on his 3d printer for people with HMs. I think it was 30 including shipping

vo5son.jpg

Im not going to bother with a servo atm.
Going to get used to v4 & then build a v4.1 later I think.

Anyway... Good news - I picked up my drum from the shop.
Just got home. They have done a great job - even if I did pick a boring Red.

Pics to follow - its raining at the moment so left the drum in the car.

thinking outside of the box.
I am thinking about this as a lower intake vent -its 4" in size
$_12.JPG

I would not cut out all the spaces, maybe just drill some holes & use it as a cover plate. I can always add more holes.

thinking outside of the box.
I am thinking about this as a lower intake vent -its 4" in size
$_12.JPG

I would not cut out all the spaces, maybe just drill some holes & use it as a cover plate. I can always add more holes.

That looks cool but have you looked at one single sliding air vent like the BGE has. You could buy them on ebay and they give a nice clean look.

I was thinking that looked fairly flat and might be difficult to mold around a barrel and still get a good seal...

Back