Which brown sugar?????

John Bowen

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
For many years I have been using Domino Brown sugar in my rubs – both light and dark. About six months ago I discovered Billingtons Brown Sugar and fell in love with the flavor. A very very rich flavor. The one drawback is that it takes the color of the product down to such a dark color it almost looks burned.

This got me to wondering – what other brown sugars are out there and which do any of you use and why?

I don't use sugar based rubs any more Mainly Salt & pepper these days. But when I did I started using splenda in place of traditional sugar it retains the sweet and don't scorch.

I use both brown sugar and turbinado sugar never had a problem with the brown sugar

Anyone ever try using Piloncillo or Jaggery for the sugar in a rub instead of Demerra or Turbinado:?:

I just use regular c&h dark brown, never had an issue with it.

That's what I've been using with no problems. I've herd that sugar will burn if takin to high temps. Not sure what temp that is. I tend to stay I between 220 to 230 for my ribs and 230 to 235 for butts. So basically, I only put sugar on pork.

Back