Tongue

MaximumJEFF

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Anyone cook a tongue lately? Silly question, I'm sure

My buddy is splitting a cow with his dad and none of us have cooked a tongue before. I'm thinking it would be tuff and need some low and slow love. But, any suggestions/experience would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Tongue is a great piece of meat often discarded.
It's fairly simple to prepare.
First you have to boil it for about 25-30 minutes, this is to get the skin to come off. My grandma used to get it to pop right off by dropping it into ice water, I just can't do it.
So I use a good sharp knife to shave the skin off.
Then I use a pressure cooker to cook it.
Add some beef broth and veggies like you'd use for a roast. Potatoes, carrots and onions.
Pressure cook it for 40 minutes and you're in for a taste sensation!

The tongue has no fat in it at all so there's really no cologen or connective tissue to break down for moisture in the meat. So you need to cook it in a liquid.

Good luck

I last ate cow tongue about 25 years ago. It was peeled and then cooked in the oven as a roast.

It was the most flavorful and most tender roast of beef i have ever had, then I was told it was beef tongue and couldn't bring myself to eat any more.

Mind over matter I guess, but i will still say it was great roast beef.

Hahahaha My grandma used to make it and I refused to eat it too.
One day she brought me sammiches to the field for lunch and I asked what it was and she said "have I ever fed you bad food?" I of course said no and ate them. Then she told me it was tongue. Well been a fan since then. Like you it was about about 25+ years ago :laugh:

Hahahaha My grandma used to make it and I refused to eat it too.
One day she brought me sammiches to the field for lunch and I asked what it was and she said "have I ever fed you bad food?" I of course said no and ate them. Then she told me it was tongue. Well been a fan since then. Like you it was about about 25+ years ago :laugh:

I will still say it was really really good, but now with age I probably would be willing to try it again if the opportunity came about. After all tongue is much better for you than what they stuff in our hot dogs (LOL).

That is so true. If you get the chance give it a try. It's really good

Cook peel skin, cut super thin and marinate in a very tart vinegar and oil mix. Basque style and it's awesome as a sandwich on a sourdough roll.

Pickled tongue sandwiches were thing I remember fondly. I miss Grandma, it's been at least 40 years since I had one.

My Father tricked my sister when we were kids that it was corned beef.It worked only once.

A smokehouse about an hour south of here sometimes has smoked tongue. I'm not sure of their technique or process, but the product is amazing.

Thanks for the input guys/gals. We'll give it a shot in the next couple weeks. I'll post up how it goes

Whew! Super hectic day between smoking bacon, ham, and preparing the tongue. Family and friends were invited especially for the tongue tacos. Tongue is unbelievably good so dive head first with no regrets.

In short I did tongue two ways. Simmered one and smoked the other. Not too many pics even though I anticipated for more.

20131124_122157.jpg

Washed the tongues first. I rubbed the first one with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and put it on the smoker (my kamado). Smoked at 250 until 165* and wrapped in foil until 200*+. Took it out peeled the skin chopped it up and made tacos.

Here is the pic of the smoked tongue chopped up

20131124_204749.jpg

Here is the simmered tongue. Very straight forward and the recipe is: In a large stock pot fill water enough to cover the tongue, one whole onion quartered or halved, 2-3 tbsp salt, whole peppercorns, about 5 crushed garlic cloves, 6 or so bay leaves and a touch or cumin (optional). Boil for 4-5 hours, take out and peel skin off and chop/shred it.

20131124_193030.jpg

End result. I was hosting so by the time I made it to the table to dress my taco there was no cilantro or onion left. Sort of neked taco just with red sauce and aguacate sauce(blended avocado,roasted tomatillos, roasted garlic, roasted serrano chiles, mexican cream, salt and lime)

20131124_200743.jpg

Most of the people favored the simmered togue vs smoked btw. Not much difference to me but I'm biased:heh:

I wanted more pics but too much going on. You get the idea and if you have any q's feel free to ask. Go for it. You wont be disappointed. Like I said it's pretty straight forward and easy.

I cooked one a few months ago. I boiled it, peeled it, then cooked it on the smoker just like you would for a Pepper Stuot Chuckie. The people that knew it was tongue loved it and the people that did not know said it was some of the tastiest beef they ever had.

Back