Saturday lunch in Kansas City. Any recommendations?

Cloudsmoker

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I understand there are too many great places, but we just have time for one. Appreciate any recommendations - thanks much.

Oklahoma Joe's Photo

That is where I went the first trip to that city and Oklahoma Joe's was so good! It is a gas station, but go inside and try the great food. I order their original BBQ sauce from the company that bought the recipe and now sell it under the Oklahoma Joe's name.

Attachments

• 12447_105025616180182_5077684_n.jpg
    12447_105025616180182_5077684_n.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 142
I think the 4 most popular places are going to be in no particular order....

Gates
OK Joe's
Jack Stack
Haywards's

You are not going to go wrong with any of the above. Where in Kansas City are you staying?

Add Smokin Guns in North KC to the list. There is also Woodyard, Johnnys, and Rosedale BBQ. I believe there are now 3 OK Joes.

Make sure you stop at the KC BBQ Store. Kid in a candy store. It is in same center as one of the OK Joes.

Joes, no question about it. It's fantastic Q and you'll always be able to claim you had the best BBQ ever in a gas station.

Someone else suggested Rosedale, too. I will second that one for sure.

Jack's Stack also was mentioned and is good for a sit down place. Smoke House has several locations, including one up North in Zona Rosa and a bar with lots of TVs if you want to catch football. That's probably my favorite for a sit down BBQ and the beans are the best in KC. (Yes, I think they're better than Jack's Stack.)

KC has some GREAT BBQ that's for sure.
I've done Gates, Author Bryants, and Jack Stack. Haywards is on my "to do" list, but for some reason time and time again I keep going back to Gates? Their BBQ is different from your typical sweet BBQ that a lot of places have in Kansas City. A few weeks ago, while visiting my father N law, I pulled a muscle in my back and stayed at home all day. My wife brought me a Burnt End sandwich from Gates and it was awesome.
Hope you had a good time.

KC has some GREAT BBQ that's for sure.
I've done Gates, Author Bryants, and Jack Stack. Haywards is on my "to do" list, but for some reason time and time again I keep going back to Gates? Their BBQ is different from your typical sweet BBQ that a lot of places have in Kansas City. A few weeks ago, while visiting my father N law, I pulled a muscle in my back and stayed at home all day. My wife brought me a Burnt End sandwich from Gates and it was awesome.
Hope you had a good time.

That kind of sauce actually represents the true historical Kansas City style sauce. The sweet stuff people associate today with Kansas City style BBQ sauce didn't start becoming prevalent around until during the 80's after a guy from Oklahoma made a sauce called KC Masterpiece, which went national and became what people around the country thought represented Kansas City style, even though nothing about it had anything to do with Kansas City except the name. New restaurants around the area chose to cater to that perception, and now that concept has stuck for good. However, if you want an idea what historical Kansas City style sauce is, look into Gates, Arthur Bryant's and other restaurants that predate KC Masterpiece.

(Ive been kindda a phantom of the q till now, need to pick my old uds project back up and finish it, almost 2 years now for something so simple) anyways... whats you other local q'ers take on mcguires in olathe? My wife and i love arthur bryants and have ate several others..but we always come back to mcguires. I would suggest it if you havent tried it.

Thanks, guys. Actually we're flying into KC, but heading to Nebraska.
But lunch time in KC -- seems like a bad time to miss a meal.

Andy and Kim will be at the Jack so go to their house and rummage around in the fridge...

NUTZ

Joes, no question about it. It's fantastic Q and you'll always be able to claim you had the best BBQ ever in a gas station.

Someone else suggested Rosedale, too. I will second that one for sure.

Jack's Stack also was mentioned and is good for a sit down place. Smoke House has several locations, including one up North in Zona Rosa and a bar with lots of TVs if you want to catch football. That's probably my favorite for a sit down BBQ and the beans are the best in KC. (Yes, I think they're better than Jack's Stack.)

Agree 100% about Smokehouse. Love the beans. Great place.

Great thread! Growing up in KC I have a lot of memories with several of the places mentioned. I gave up on Gates a while back. When they are good, they are amazing-but I've had some seriously horrible food there. Never did really enjoy Arthur Bryants. OK Joes was never really that near where I was, so I've only been to the Olathe location (which was pretty good). My personal favorite is the Jack Stack in Martin City. I've tried a few of the other locations and they aren't anywhere near the same (sent my food back at their Plaza shop-going hungry was more desirable)

Can't say I agree about the beans at Smokestack! It's a great restaurant (although the bar at the Independence location will make you want to stab your self) and while I tend to dismiss most of the BBQ in town as being 'not Jack Stack'- SmokeStack really surprised us when I picked some up as takeout a few months back. Good beans, for sure, but not better than Jackstack! Their Zona Rosa shop is probably the closest to the airport

To add a twist to it, I submit LC's BBQ.

Back