Big Gig...well...big for me...

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I have been asked to quote our company bbq this year...pulled pork sammies, sliced brisket, coleslaw, and potato salad for 185 people. I'm thinking 1/3 lb each meat per person and 4-6 oz each side...self serve lines...am I in the ballpark?
Cheers!
JD

You'd be safe with 1/3# of meat and sides. Be careful with the self serve lines...I just caught that part. You might want to do at least 15% more for that (10% extra is the norm anyway). Charge appropriately.

By the way, you don't have to break your charges down for them. Just give them a total....or better yet, a per person cost for the 185. The smaller per person number is usually easier on their souls than a large "total cost" number.

Try to avoid the self serve, if you do it, plan a fair amoun extra 15% minimum. the big eaters will go nuts!! How many men/women? Kids? Sounds like a good time. I just putting he finishing touches on a volunteer sale tomorrow, BBQ meals for 129. 10 bucks a pop for the senior class.

We usually have someone assembling and wrapping sandwiches then let the guests serve their own sides. #6 scoop of pork, some slaw and sauce-wrap it up, here ya go. Keeps the line moving faster and helps control the amount of pork. Slicing brisket to order is a royal pain (yes, I've done it) and when we do it self serve it all ends up getting eaten from people coming back through the line. It helps if everyone makes it through the line once before people start coming back for more (which I'm sure with your brisket they will!).

In a mixed group (women & children included) I normally quote 1/4 lb. meat and 4 oz. sides but, as others have gotten at, we normally do a service line so we can control portions. Women, even women who like BBQ, never eat anywhere near as much as the men in attendance.

If you are going to let them serve themselves then larger portions are the way to go but I think then you would see a lot of leftovers on plates and you may be leaving some profit on the table.

I do 1/3 of a lb when I do one meat and 1/2 lb (1/4lb of each meat) of meat with two meats. I usually run a self serve buffet when catering

When you are doing a self-serve it is usually a good idea to have a green salad and garlic bread at the front of the line so they fill a lot of their plate with the cheaper items before they get to the expensive meats. I would have them grab a bun and you put on the p/p with a portion control scoop and I would slice the brisket to order. It is a lot of trouble to slice to order but if it is pre-sliced people will grab too much on the first time through the line. Since it is for your company you can probably get someone you work with to help serve at no cost to you. Also give them a per person price and have it paid prior to the job so you don't chase your boss for money later. I never, never do a catering job without being paid up front a week prior to the job when they give me the final count.

Please don't let them self-serve everything. I have made that mistake twice thinking I just had a influx of gluttons... I was wrong. I know it's more work but you need to be there dealing out the brisket or the end of the line will not get any and reflect poorly on you.
If you twice as much as you think you need the OK but otherwise find a way to monitor it.

Yeah, dont do the self serve if possible, some heavy hitters will clean you out and the others will get upset that all the good stuff is gone..been there..good luck

If I went with self serve I would issue each person a ticket , that might help some

Serve the first round of food, then you can back away and let them at it. You will be surprised at how much folks can put on a 9" plate if they are serving themselves, and how much food ends up in the trash. Good luck.

Back